Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:16:07 AM

Author Topic: Machine had a another brain fart.  (Read 6868 times)

Re: Machine had a another brain fart.
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 08:22:38 PM »
It has gecko stepper drivers on it. Its on a shoptask mill and lathe converted to cnc.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 11:20:14 AM »
Think your steppers are skipping.

The problem is just what is causing it.

A stepper can skip and continue with a small change in position OR just go totally out of control.
Usually you can hear the skip. If repeatable when running a program it could be easy. If random it can be a real PITA.

First know what you max velocity and acceleration values are and reduced them by 50% or more.
See if that helps, it could be velocity or accel and that is also related to the system components.

If not would need to ask for a lot of info to see if could pinpoint the problem.

I just went thru this with another user.

RICH

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »
I cut the velocity down by a third  and still had a problem. Resaved the program under a diffrent name instead of saving over the old program and ran it 3 times with out a problem. Also made a new program today and has been fine. Hopefully there was just a glitch in the program.

Fingers crossed.
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »
No its not a chinese controler. I did not build it someone else did though. I have acabinet atached to the side of the machine that has the computer mother board   Power supplies and it has gecko6203 steeper drivers. I think i had a corrupted gcode file. Renamed the file and resaved it and has been running fine.  Hopefuly i have no more problems with it. Ill let u know if it happens again.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 04:47:32 AM »
The new version runs, so it is not Mach and not the hardware now. It MIGHT have been a transient hardware problem, but unlikely. It MIGHT have been a faulty program, but also unlikely as as saving it under a different name made it work.
It MIGHT have been ... a bad block on the disk.
You renamed the file and saved it as something else: that would have written it to somewhere else on the disk. Can I suggest running CheckDisk or equivalent?

Cheers
Roger