Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:48:50 AM

Author Topic: how to config motors with G100  (Read 34467 times)

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
how to config motors with G100
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:08:15 PM »
I have my G100 for my mill connected and talking to Mach3. Also talking to the AH-HA box that drives the motors. Jog works fine. Have a license file for G100 and mach both in the mach folder.

How the #$*#))@@&&%%^$#@@@# do you configure the motors?  I watched the video tutorial, but the screen doesn't look the same. The fields for motor speed and acceleration are grayed out and I can't change them.  Also no place to set steps per unit. Anybody know how to do this? ???

Monty
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:11:37 PM by Monty »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: how to config motors with G100
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:10:35 PM »
Monty,
    Go to your config, motor tuning and set them there. On exit you will be asked to flash to G100, click yes. It will flash and reboot. You will have to hit rediscover a couple of times and you should be good to go. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 11:02:43 AM »
Brett,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to use the standard motor tuning under config. When I select it a window pops up that says the g100 is in use and asks if I want to flash to it. If I select no the window disapears. If I select yes it flashes something to the g100 and disapears. The motor tuning window never shows up.  ???

Monty

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:21:29 PM »
Tried some additional things. Turned off the G100. Tried to get into config>motor tuning. No dice. Still get the same g100 is active do you want to flash to it message window. If I select yes mach crashes. If I select no nothing happens. I did get all of the inputs, limits, estop etc working. Motor tuning remains elusive. Anybody know how to turn off the g100 mode and get back to the standard serial port mode. Maybe I can access motor tuning then and flash it to the g100 once I am back in g100 mode. A bit cumbersome, but I would settle for it now to get things running.

Monty

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:09:42 PM »
Monty, I have sent you a personal message.

Brett

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 08:07:59 PM »
Brett,

Thanks for the help. I did a clean install of Mach3, and the plugins. Seems to have fixed the motor tuning. Must have been a corrupted install.

Now the problem is with the homing and soft limits. Strange behavior. It was working. Then it started acting up. It will hit one switch and work fine, then hit another and will trip a limit without jogging back to home. I guess I may have to go to a seperate home switch :'(. I am trying to use the limits as the home switches. Also will not display the table soft limits on the table display. Well, I guess I have my work cut out for me tommorow. ::)

Monty

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 08:17:34 PM »
I'm here if you want to talk. Wire your home switches in to the limit pin right beside the axis dir pin. Set them up as pins 17-22, port 1 in ports and pins. Make your limits pins any from pins 1-16 port one.  Also, post your xml file here for us to look at.

Brett

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 09:11:07 PM »
Is there any reason mach3 and Grex can't handle using the limit switch for the home switch? I would rather not have to make new brackets and rewire. Maybe there is a problem with the switch. It is old....maybe the contacts need to be cleaned.

I have it wired up as

pin 17  X+ X- and X home
pin 18  Y+ Y- and Y home
pin 19  Z+ Z- and home

Monty

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 09:52:28 PM »
Hey Monte, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Brett

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 11:18:27 AM »
I isolated the problem ;D. Unfortunately I can't fix it. :(. Homing works fine as long as I don't try to change the configuration of the soft limits. The machine is working in a negative quadrant in X and Y. When I try to reverse the axis and the home switches it stops working properly. It goes to the correct switch, but it won't jog off it to home like it should. It will home the Z (the one that no changes are made to over default) Then it will start moving both the X and Y at the same time. When the Y hits the limit it stops and says limit switch triggerd. I think it is a problem with the software. I'll post the xml file later.

Monty