Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:45:25 PM

Author Topic: how to config motors with G100  (Read 34392 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: how to config motors with G100
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 06:08:34 AM »
Hey Monty,
    I just tried the ref all home after running some code and it all works well.  :) So did my spindle and flood relays. I could toggle them at any time and they worked as they should. I wonder if the dwell settings are causing your problems with the coolant. I wouldn't think so as that pertains to the spindle. I don't think these are coming from the software or firmware. If you would, post your new xml, screen set, and also, what version of Mach are you running? 2.0.0??

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 06:11:35 PM »
Brett,

The spindle and coolant problem was due to a wiring goof with the optical relays ::). So that problem is solved and working.

I did some more testing on the limits. I couldn't find any ground loops, and I'm not getting any voltage readings that are out of range for a digital signal.

I have managed to determine the following:

1.) The problem is random. Ocassionally it will screw up on re-boot although that is unusual. I may get 10 homes in a row, I may get 5, I may get none.

2.) The problem has never occured on the Z axis. It is wired the same way and the shield is grounded in the same way at the same place as the X and Y

3.) Changing the direction of the Z axis under soft limits has no effect on whether the problem occurs on the Z.

4.) Changing the home direction of the Z axis also has no effect.

5.) The problem is precipitated by either the X or the Y axis failing to home properly. When this occurs the machine stops. No error is displayed on the mach status line. I can jog with the shuttle pro but nothing happens. When I hit Reset on the screen and then hit it again it will say "limit switch triggered." at which point I overide and drive off.

6.) once either the X or Y fails to home properly the homing is erratic. The Z will move with the Y. Or some other strange combination.

7.) Two things will fix this problem and cause the machine to home in the proper sequence again.
      a.) exit mach and start it again.
      b.) keep running the homing routine until it works.

after either of these two things happens the homing sequence will be correct until it faults again.

8.) disabling the X+ or Y+ limit has no effect on this.

9.) G64 has no effect on the problem. I cannot make it happen beforehand by entering a G64, nor can I fix it once it happens with a G61

Our machines are different in that you are using NO contacts and I am using NC.

I may switch them to see if that makes any difference, but first:

Try this experiment.

Tell your machine to reff all. Then as either the X or Y hit the limit switch. hit the other one with something.

Then move all the axis to the middle of travel and hit ref all again. Since you are not homing your Z you may not see the problem exactly the same way as I do, but you may get the X and Y going at the same time. 

Monty

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:19:38 PM by Monty »

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 08:56:30 PM »
OK I give up. I don't know what is causing the problem, and I don't care anymore. :P I found a workaround. Whenever the X or Y fail to home properly I do the following:

hit reset, drive off the limit. Then home that axis individualy. That puts the world right again.

I can usually get 5-10 reff all home cycles before the problem occurs. I configured 2 of the buttons on the shuttle pro to be a home X/ home Y button.

On to other things! I'm tired of this ;D

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 09:31:24 PM »
Well so much for my work around. While demostrating the problem and my "brilliant" solution to my wife, all went according to plan. I did about 7 ref all home cycles without a glitch, then the problem showed up in the X as it failed to home completely. So then I did my workaround. This time the Z started for home with the X went right on through the limit and crashed >:( >:( >:(. That is the one axis on this machine with ZERO backlash. &%^$*$&%^#&# Now I have to solve this can't run the machine this way.

Noise in a limit switch CANNOT cause the Z axis to head for home when I hit the button for home X >:(

Monty

Offline Monty

•  116 116
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 11:37:02 PM »
Just so you guys don't think that I have a rats nest next to a Tesla coil for wiring I posted some pics of the offending machine in the show an tell area:

http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/forum/index.php?topic=3379.0

also attached my latest .xml

Monty
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
Do you have shielded cable on the limit cables?

Also I have sent you a PM...

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 06:53:11 PM »
Guys, I am experiencing exactly same problems! However, my setup was working for long time just fine with one of the older versions of Mach3, Grex plug in and Grex software (I think I installed this earlier this year or late last year). As I had a problem (as did others) with the CNC program stopping for no reason in the middle of a job, I recently decided to update the software. I updated to the latest version of everything which I downloaded two days ago. And this is when these problems started... I am also using a common switch for axis limit and home for each axis. There is no problem with Z axis homing, just like on Monty's machine. And I see all the problems Monty has. As he did, I tried everything, but nothing works. My switches are magnetic with schotky (very clean) output and everything is well screened (and as I said, it was working with older version of software perfectly). There is another common thing in Monty's and my setup - we are both using NC (Normally Closed) limit switches (which Brett isn't). I really cannot think of anything else but that the problem is in the software and we need Art to look at it. Perhaps Brian can ask him? What version of Mach3 and Grex software are you running, Brett? By the way, even if changing switches to normally open would possibly work, I do not want to do this for safety reasons. If any wire to a swich or a switch itself breaks, with Normally Closed switches the machine will simply stop immediatly. But with Normally Open switches it will not stop even when it reaches the limit position!!! Not a good prospect as you can imagine.

Regards, Ivan

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 07:07:29 PM »
Hey Ivan, mine is doing it as well. I'm using the latest plugin, Mach, and firmware as you are. I use proximity switches, two on each axis. One doubles as a home. I only found this after I tryed homeing about 20-30 times in a row. Art is looking at the problem, I'm not sure it is a Mach problem.

Brett

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »
I also meant to say, I have my MPG working.  :)

Brett

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
Hi Brett, yes, it could be in Grex firmware, but it definitely is not a hardware problem. As I said, my setup was working fine until I updated the software. I will try a clean re-install over the weekend, just to make sure. On another note, do you by any chance know what hapened to MPG1 input? MPG is very useful and it was working fine on my machine with the previous version. Not anymore...

Ivan