Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:26:02 AM

Author Topic: Do i have to manually type in tool # when I do tool change?  (Read 3174 times)

Offline JDG3

•  19 19
    • View Profile
Do i have to manually type in tool # when I do tool change?
« on: October 04, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »
I'm new to Mach3, and new to cnc lathe. I've been using EMC2 (linux) on a mill I retrofitted for about a year.
My question is why do I have to manually input the tool number after each tool change? It's very easy to forget that small, but important step.
The tool number is in the program_ M6 T4 etc., but Mach always goes to tool #0 before each change, so the offsets dont change until I type in the tool # and hit enter.
Am I doing something wrong?
I've looked this up many ways, but cant find this issue anywhere.
Thanks for any help

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Do i have to manually type in tool # when I do tool change?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 01:17:20 PM »
Thats odd, how have you got tool-change setup in config?

Can you post up a chunk of code that shows the beginning of a job with a tool change and maybe 20 lines afterwards.

I use it a fair bit and never have to enter the tool number so it must be a setting or code issue i think :)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »
Attach your xml file.
What version Mach3 are you using?

In General Logic Configuration you have some options for tool change. Do you have Ignore Tool Change selected?

Try "T0404" for the tool.

RICH

Offline JDG3

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:27:46 PM »
Thanks very much, guys.
Rich, you were right on. I've just been entering T1 or T2 etc. It has to be T0101.
I'm new to editing my own codes too. Been using the wizards, and having to edit to use IPM, IPR, CSS. Working very nicely. The tool changing was my only issue. Had a few small crashes cause I got in a hurry, and doing ten things at once, like cutting on bandsaws and tapping on the other lathe. I figured it was me :) I'm good to go now, thanks.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
The tool format is Txx for mill. BUT, for the lathe it's TxxYY where xx is the tool # and YY is offset.

Now note that starting ver 038  -  "TOOLDESC" label changed to reflect the description of the offset rather then the tool 
Then in ver 3.043.053 - Tool data is not displayed and used based on the offset number rather then the Tool number (mostly for turn).

Glad you got it working,

RICH

Offline JDG3

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:29:05 PM »
Ha. I wondered why it was 2 numbers repeating themselves. I forgot to check the Mach version I had, and I backed up the whole Mach3 folder, but left the flash drive in.
 I'm not in the shop right now, but it came preloaded on a new Shopmaster mill turn. I just got it last week and have only been using it for 4 days.
Was a little worried from all the complaints I saw, but mine arrived just fine, and is very accurate (.001), as a lathe, I haven't tried the mill yet, but the design beats the heck out of the drill press style.
I plan to study and learn alot more about codes and Mach3.
My dad was a retired machinist. He worked at Dow Corning Wright (before they got sued for inventing the breast implants and split into Dow corning/Wright medical Ind.) He continued working for Wright.
He was my hero, and used to show me the coolest stuff, like a thigh bone made from the top secret material Carbon/Carbon, which the Stealth Bombers were made. Stronger than steel, light as a feather. The human body rejected it tho.
He's past now. I wish I'lda got into this sooner.
I did manual machinig before he past, but never cnc untill a few years later.
I sure appreciate all the good help on here, not just for me but for every one.