Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:40:51 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 with ESS with C62 CNC4PC BOB  (Read 4091 times)

Mach4 with ESS with C62 CNC4PC BOB
« on: September 15, 2016, 02:23:34 AM »
Hi All,  my first time here so hope i am in the right place.
I have purchased an ESS and C62 CNC4PC BOB and trying to get if functioning through Mach4.
I have managed to get the ESS connected to my PC, however, it seems that the C62 BOB and the ESS are not talking to each other.
I have set all the Pins and Ports as described by the manufacturer but still cannot get them to talk.
The main problem is that I have an ESTOP switch connected to the the C62 but when pressed, it changes some lights on the BOB but does not show in Mach4.
Same with Mach4, if i press the "disable" button in Mach4, nothing shows on the BOB.
The ESS is setup correctly as the lights are doing what they are supposed to do, it just seems to be a problem with the C62.
I have discussed with Arturo at CNC4PC and he has given me some ideas to check, but again, no go.
I am hoping someone on the forum can suggest what the problem may be as i am at the end of my patience. I have spent more than 40 hours working on this and researching but to no avail.
The ESTOP is set to Port 2 Pin 10 as recommended by CNC4PC. The Active low is selected as told to do but when i select active low, the ESTOP message comes up and nothing i do will clear it unless i un-check Active Low.  it also causes Mach4 and Mach3 to crash.
i have tried on three different PC's and all have the same result.  i have tried with different Ethernet cables but no difference.
I really hope someone can help.
Thank you
Kind Regards
Dean
Re: Mach4 with ESS with C62 CNC4PC BOB
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 02:33:27 AM »
Hi Dean,
I don't have an ESS yet, I've ordered one but likely a fortnight away yet.

A couple of things occur to me from your post.

Firstly the Estop is an input. So if that input goes active the expectation is that the BOB
LED will change state and the ESS will communicate back to Mach which should be visible
on the diagnostics page. If you hit 'disable' in Mach your BOB LED will not change state.

I suspect that your BOB is configured so that the input pin (port2 pin10) is low in idle state.
Therefore if you check 'active low' Mach considers it and enduring emergency condition
and you cannot simply re-enable Mach. You must clear the low state on the pin to do so.

Without documentation of your BOB I don't know but it is common that the input pins
have a jumper which allows a pull-up resistor to be enabled. Then port2 pin10
would be high at idle and would be pulled low by you activating the Estop switch, and
the active low setting that has been recommended would work fine.

Can you post the BOB docs or a link to them?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:51:30 AM »
Hi Dean,
found the C62 docs, the internet is a marvellous thing....

Section 4.5 on page 5 and running on to page 6 show the jumpers I mean.

Are you using 5V or 24V? You have the option of the 'common' being either
5 or 24V or GND. Your description suggests that your BOB is currently set to
common=GND. Usual but not universal practice has common=5V. Try it and see.

Craig
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:39:42 PM »
Hi Craig,
Thanks for the information and advise.
It has been confirmed that the board is faulty and the supplier is sending a new one.
If I run into trouble with the new one, i will drop you a line as you seem to understand these things better than me.
Thanks again
Kind Regards
Dean
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 01:50:37 AM »
Hi Dean,
good news that you're making progress, not so good that its a faulty board.

That the supplier is going to provide a new one and sounds like they've done so
fairly promptly is a matter of praise. I'm sure you've read on the forum where
getting that sort of backup from Chinese suppliers has left many feeling ripped off.
Any supplier who will not back up his gear is on a hiding to nothing given that
the forum is extensive as it is. Likewise we should 'talk up' those suppliers who
do the right thing.
Score 1 for CNC4PC.

Craig
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 05:14:02 AM »
Hi Craig,  thanks for the comments. CNC4PC is actually an American company from Sanfransisco but even so,  it is really good service with the help they provided and that they agreed to send a new board. They could have just said it was me not using it correctly but I think after proving the board did not do what it was supposed to do, that there was no argument from them.  Great service from them and would recommend them any day.
Regards
Dean