Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 08:21:31 PM

Author Topic: Out-Of-Band Axes in Hobby vs Indusrial  (Read 12756 times)

Re: Out-Of-Band Axes in Hobby vs Indusrial
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2022, 08:20:49 AM »
which hardware did you you use for the ethercat?
and why you choose  ethercat?

Motion controller: kingstar. It requires a computer with intel cores 8th to 10th gen and intel NIC. Then, the NIC only works for EtherCat communication and you connect as many ethercat slaves as you want (of course knowing Mach4 capabilities in this case)

Ethercat stepper drivers (unfortunately these ones are expensive) and matched motors

And for I/O you could use any ethercat PLC o etherCAT coupler with the modules you need. Most common are beckhoff and wago

Hope these gives enough information, but if not feel free to ask.

I am still waiting to know how to control OB axes :)

Pablo
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2022, 08:34:05 AM »
But why did you choose use ethercat and not standart step/for
About OB please explain me what you mean, because I use servo magazine,I use rotary axiss... what exactly your need
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2022, 01:50:36 PM »
Hi

I wanted to have:

1) lots of inputs and outputs (Maximum around 64000), and not being limited by the ones provided by the hardware motion controllers with BoB included. Kingstar is a more economic option to the EtherCAT motion controller from Vital systems. With Kingstar you can have thousands of I/Os, and the number of motors is limited by Mach4 capabilities as long as you buy the modules and drivers. In Vital systems you have to pay for 4, 5, 6 or 8 axes and are very limited to I/Os.

2) more Freedom to switch to other platforms in case it is needed. Most step/dir motion controllers are attached to a specific software/hardware. In this case, I can use the same hardware with different EtherCAT master controllers (e.g. Beckhoff, Wago, etc). I did not explore more options because right now I am happy with Mach4 EtherCAT, but I understand it is doable.

3) Less wiring: Daisy chain made it so easy to wire or add new devices.

For the OB axis, I want to do a rotary auto tool changer like the one in the video below. But no Idea how to home or jog the motor to the right position with macros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HkXbGkPPyw
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2022, 03:01:45 PM »
Do you mean magazine like this?
https://youtu.be/8IoxTXm3iDk
Only reason I understand you it's less wiring because all rest I have also with pokeys ( 80 output,no limit input)
I asked about Ethercat because I use absolute encoder and as first option I thought Ethercat ,but I use onther way
By the way here sample of much more complex solution with step/dir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4gRcnDL3PU
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2022, 04:35:55 PM »
Hi,

Kingstar is a more economic option to the EtherCAT motion controller from Vital systems.

I am interested. I looked at Ethercat, in particular Kingstar Ethercat, and came to the conclusion that it was more expensive than my current motion control solution.
I am not counting the extra you pay for Ethercat servos or IO nodes, just the Ethercat master. I discounted the Vital Systems solution....if I want Ethercat I want it built into
the PC.....the Vital Systems idea of a separate board is like the worst of both worlds.

This is from Automation Technologies:

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/mach4-ethercat-system/cnc-ethercat-motion-control-computer

Despite it being pictured with Ethercat servos/steppers is is in fact just for the Ethercat master. That's $1599 for a rebuilt PC, a Mach4 license, presumably the Hobby version, and a RTX64 runtime license.

My existing motion control solution is a PC with Mach4Hobby, $200, and an ESS $190, so the total about $1000, allowing $600 for the PC. That means about a $600 premium for Ethercat.

Do these numbers make sense to you? Is the Automation Technologies offer sound genuine or is it overpriced? If, as I calculate, Ethercat has a $600 premium; do you think the premium
is worth it?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2022, 06:28:59 PM »
Craig I think you missing some numbers
I checked it about year ago different then pokeys was about 1500$ not 600
I talk about 5-6 motors. 24inputs 64 output
I don't remember all details but you must buy the rtx license....it was big money
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2022, 08:03:46 PM »
Hi,

I checked it about year ago different then pokeys was about 1500$ not 600

Who cares about Pokeys or even an ESS.....I just used an ESS system as a  cost comparison to Ethercat. What I was asking OP was whether he thought
the figures are sensible and whether he thought the premium worthwhile.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'