Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:09:34 AM

Author Topic: Sorry to ask, but what CAD/CAM packages are recommended for a newbie?  (Read 4672 times)

I'm just embarking on setting up a CNC mill and need to get a cad/cam suite. I have over twenty years experience in manual machining and am very computer savvy, but I'm completely new to CNC. I don't expect to get anything for nothing, but is there a half decent 3d cad program suitable for novices? I've taken a look at quite a few of the introductory free trial offers, but while I'm aware that you don't get "owt fer nowt", the pricing for many is at best opaque. I don't really want to spend more than £100 GBP on a cad program (to start with, but may decide to upgrade to something more sophisticated at a later stage) and haven't thought about the cost of cam yet, but I'm open to all suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:42:54 PM by Agathon »

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry to ask, but what CAD/CAM packages are recommended for a newbie?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:24:02 PM »
Vectric cut2d is the easiest out there
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:49:22 PM »
Take a look at CamBam too. Forty sessions before you need to buy. Download the full version. I have two copies one on my homebuilt with Mach 3 and a second copy on the large bed mill at work. For $150 it was money well spent.  The P in PC is still Personal so you may not like what others think is great.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 06:37:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies, but really need something 3D in the CAD dept.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »
fusion 360

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 07:24:29 PM »
Other than Fusion 360, which is free for hobbyists, there really aren't any other 3D CAD/CAM packages for under $1000, usually much higher.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 07:32:14 PM »
I hear a lot of good things about Fusion 360 and at your price point it is about the only game in town.  One word of caution, it is an Autodesk product so you are getting in bed with the EVIL EMPIRE of Cad.  Autodesk doesn't do anything unless they can handcuff and chain you down to get every penny in your wallet. I suspect Fusion 360 is bait covering a bear trap and the jaws are just waiting to snap shut!  Been burned by them more than once, still have a bad taste about it. I'd make damn sure you have backup files in a format like STP or IGES that you own for every model you make.
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 05:34:39 AM »
Thanks for the wise words. Will look into it.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 01:31:02 PM »
I'm using BOB-CAD/CAM.  I have the 3 Axis Standard, 3 Axis Pro and 4 Axis Standard (indexed milling, no continuous rotation) modules enabled.  Usually this package is around $5000 but I was able to "sweet-talk" the salesman with a statement that this is strictly for hobby use and got quite a deal.  $695 for the modules listed.  I also got Preditor Standard (a g-code editor, but standard is very much like Windows Notepad - Pro adds a lot more functionality) added in for free.  Now I'm not sure how well they would receive being inundated with similar requests, but I love this software!  If I were to go into business as a mill shop I'd definitely invest in the full price for any features I'd need, including the 4 axis Pro.

The approval for this price had to go to the owner for acceptance so your mileage may vary if you decide to try this for yourself.

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse