Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:43:37 AM

Author Topic: X Axis needs to move to the right in the display window  (Read 1567 times)

X Axis needs to move to the right in the display window
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:25:11 PM »
This problem is with a 5 X10 plasma table. X is the long axis and 0 is on the right end if facing the long side. The home switches are on the right end. When I reference X the gantry moves to the switch as it should.
Also everything with the Y and Z axis work correctly as well. The problem is when I load a file from SheetCam (everything looks correct in SheetCam) the work piece is off the left side of the table. What needs to happen is everything needs to shift right the length of the table.
I have played around with homing and limits but haven't found the right combination so I guess it's time to ask for help. Any thoughts on how to make this happen?
Re: X Axis needs to move to the right in the display window
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:42:05 PM »
This sounds like it could be the ol' "reference confusion" factor.  When you are setting things up, always think in terms of the position of the tool (in this case the plasma tip - sorry if I'm not using the right terminology here) on the work piece.  So when you home the table to the right, you're setting zero to the left end of the table.  All X movements would then go to the right (table moving left).  So when you're looking at it in SheetCam make sure the zero reference is on the left of the piece.

Additionally, when working on a piece you should start by setting a Work Offset and reference all movements from that zero location.  It is unusual to start a piece at the zero reference in Machine Coordinates but rather Workpiece Coordinates from the Work Offset zero reference.

I do not know your level of experience and forgive me if I'm way off base here.  I'm fairly new to this myself and I'm working with a Mill/Router table that has a moving gantry and a fixed table so it's fairly easy to see which direction things should be moving but I realize how easy it can be to get directionally confused with a moving table.  (Re-reading your post, you said the gantry moves to the switch on the right so I'm having difficulty envisioning your machine setup.)  The bottom line is that X0 should be at the left edge of your workpiece and Y0 should be the edge closest to you.

Hope this helps,

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse