Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:51:09 AM

Author Topic: Machine setup help - urgent if possible :)  (Read 12277 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Machine setup help - urgent if possible :)
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »
Maybe it really just does not like being jogged??

I've never tried it on the mini-mill, it goes to tool-change position in code.

Still, its doing something usable now, thats the main thing i guess :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
Wonder if using auto change option, doing the spindle stop and have the setcurrenttool() stuff in there and then lastly have a M0, would work.
You could then just start the spindle  (normally it would be in code anyway at a toolchange) then press start.
You could also write in the macro that if the current tool is same as selected tool then to end the macro before you do the above stuff.
Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 01:36:52 PM »
Hmm, will play with this when i get it all going fully, will have a better idea of whats needed then.

It does ignore the M6 if the current tool is the same as that requested.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
Try putting nothing in the M6Start Macro.  It will still pause if you have that option set in the General Config screen.  Then see if you still get the error after jogging.  If not, then there's definitely something in the macro that's doing it.  Otherwise, it may be a bug in the software.  I'm trying to remember if I have done any jogging in the M6 state as I have everything automated to go to a safe tool change location and then probe after acknowledging that is complete.  Then press cycle start and the spindle moves back to it's original location and continues on with the program.

Let us know if that changes anything.

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 04:43:06 PM »
Thanks, will have a look.

I want the ability to use the tool length offset table for most stuff but also have manual height probing with a touch-plate for some tasks.

R8 tooling is quite long so the table needs to get out of the way to change it, thats the plan anyway ;)
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 02:03:01 PM »
Understand that, Dave.  I like having it that way too.  I've set up an M6Start macro that positions the spindle to a user defined location using the "Tool Change Location" DROs in the settings page and then prompts for the tool to be changed.  It waits for the tool to be changed and acknowledged then asks for an auto tool zero (with OK or Cancel buttons) and if auto is selected it moves to the Z location specified as above (the tool change is done at SafeZ if defined or 0 if not) and begins the probe move.  Cancel lets you do it manually.  Then press "Cycle Start" to run the M6End macro which positions the tool at the location it was when the M6 command was triggered in the program and continues on.

My advice to use a "do nothing" M6 macro is for troubleshooting to determine if it's a macro problem or a bug in the program.  I'll have another look at mine to see if jogging causes problems in the manual operation of the macro.

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse

EDIT:  Reading through this post again, I just noticed that you did try blank macros already.  I'll have a go at it later today and see how it works out for me.  What components are you using for your electronics?  (Breakout board, motion controller, stepper drivers, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:08:28 PM by Highspeed1964 »
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 02:37:36 PM »
One additional question or two, are you using Mach 3 or 4 and what screen set are you using?  I'm using Mach 3 and the original 1024 screen set modified to clean it up a bit and added a set of LEDs on the Run Program screen to monitor the probe signal.

Highspeed

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »
High,
I'm using Mach3 with the 2010 screen, a CSMIO/IP-A controller and AC servo's for drive.

The whole tool-change thing gets a bit messy it seems, I want to use toolholders so i can use the tool length table and only zero once but some jobs would need a special tool maybe and that would need manually zeroing?

I have no real CNC experience here so learning all the way.

One suggestion has been to not use the table but output each tool as a separate file and do a manual zero touch at the beginning before running the code.

I also have speed control issues where i am using a VFD as well as the mechanical control on the mill to give me full range AND power/torque. I have the system tell me to set the speed at high or low and back-gear or not BUT it does this after the code runs and gets the S command - the thing is it just runs the code with the message on screen and thus i have no chance to change the settings. This really needs sorting out as it limits what can be done in a code sequence.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:51:51 PM by Davek0974 »

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
If you were to use a tool range for special tools that need manual zeroing, say tool 50 upwards, then you can test for that in your M6 script, and handle them differently.

As for the spindle speed, I think you're probably going to need to use some non-standard coding in your g-code files.
Does your current M6 S/speed change script have anything in it to activate a feedhold while the speed is being changed?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:15:16 PM by mc »

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 04:21:53 PM »
If you were to use a tool range for special tools that need manual zeroing, say tool 50 upwards, then you can test for that in your M6 script, and handle them differently.

That sounds interesting but will need to learn some more macro stuff i think.

As for the spindle speed, I think you're probably going to need to use some non-standard coding in your g-code files.
Does your current M6 script have anything in it to activate a feedhold while the speed is being changed?

Pretty certain there is no feed-hold stuff in the M6 macros at present, Ideally it would advise of the speed change before starting the spindle as it has to be stopped when going into or out of back-gear, but not when going from high speed to low speed where it must be running :)