Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:23:36 AM

Author Topic: Stepper 4 wire bipolar configuration  (Read 2396 times)

Offline berty

•  74 74
    • View Profile
Stepper 4 wire bipolar configuration
« on: July 30, 2016, 01:35:57 AM »
Hi to all.
Its been a few years sincee having to make any repairs to my cnc equipment.

I am going to replace the 3 axis driver board in my Milling machine.

When I used to power it up the steppers would buz and lock up and all axis would work under comand.

Now when I power it up they buz and lock for about 1 second, then all goes silent and they are all not locked and it wont work.

Having convinced myself the Driver board was at fault I purchased a new 3 axis driver board.

I have been reading about the stepper wire conections, My steppers are powermax and have a plug rather than wire tails coming out of the motors,,I am not convinced the wires follow any standard layout,,when un pluged the motor has 8 pins all are linked to gether in pairs and only four wires come out of the plug,

I have identified the pairs aa bb..from what I have read so far on the net seems a bit odd when it comes to sorting out A- & B-,
I have been unable to find any Powermax pin info, is it really ok to just place them in A,A- and B,B- without knowing the polarity,, ill it not harm something, and how will I know if all is correct.
Many thanks
Berty

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Stepper 4 wire bipolar configuration
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 02:31:56 AM »
Use a multimeter to check continuity of the A, A- and also the B, B- pairs just to make sure you have identified them correctly. It is important that the pairs are correct but it does not matter how you connect the polarity to the controller. If a motor subsequently runs in the wrong direction this can be corrected by changing the Direction Low Active signal in the Mach3 Ports & Pins / Motor Outputs settings.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline berty

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 03:31:05 AM »
Many thanks,
The bit I don't get is if they are the wrong way round why does it not fight itself to turn at all.
I will make the conections and see what happens,

I have manual handles on the back of the steppers, 
When clocwise or anticlock is discused in the set up, what is the correct way.when veiwed from the rear of the steppers
Cheers
Berty

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 04:17:12 AM »
The bit I don't get is if they are the wrong way round why does it not fight itself to turn at all.

I suppose it's a bit like walking when you put one foot in front of the other - reverse the order and you go backwards. You just have to go in one direction or the other.

When clocwise or anticlock is discused in the set up, what is the correct way.when veiwed from the rear of the steppers

Clockwise and anticlockwise are relative terms and it will depend on how your machine is constructed. The important factor is that the cutting tool moves in the correct direction with relation to the work piece.
The Mach3 manual gives directional details http://www.machsupport.com/help-learning/product-manuals/

Tweakie.
PEACE