Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:03:47 PM

Author Topic: Procunier Tapping  (Read 3517 times)

Procunier Tapping
« on: July 03, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »
Drilling operation works fine, tapping operation stops on line 18, and if I run from line 19, it stops
again on line 24. No errors reported.
I'm using Mach4 Version 4.0.0.2491
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Larry
Re: Procunier Tapping
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:19:59 AM »
I think that it will work now, I checked a couple of boxes in
Spindle Control, even though I don't have a spindle control
or spindle speed sensor, it seems to work.
Do you think this will cause any problems?
Thanks,
Larry
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 02:05:03 PM »
Way too much work. Use a G85 bore cycle with the Procunier. G85 is modal, call it once then make the rapid moves to each hole location. Cancel after last hole with G80. When I programmed manually I would put all my hole location rapid moves in a subroutine. Load spot/chamfer drill, G81, call subroutine, G80, load tap drill, G83, call subroutine, G80, load tapping head, G85, call suroutine, G80, done. If the spot drill went all the right places so did the drill and tap!

Don't program manually much anymore, I use CamBam instead.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 10:40:29 PM »
I can't explain why it stops (or why it *did* stop before), except possibly that since you appear to be telling Mach4 to use G95 ("feed per revolution"), perhaps Mach4 is waiting for the plug-in to tell Mach4 what the actual spindle speed is (or maybe just a non-zero spindle speed???)?  If you can post your file here as a .tap file instead of an image, I can try running it here and see what I can see.  It would also help to have a copy of your profile (go to "Help", then "support" and then "Create profile package").

BTW - you appear to be running a pretty old version of the PMDX-SmartBOB plug-in.  The spindle configuration changed back in Sept 2015, so you are running a version older than that.  There have been several significant bug fixes and improvements since then.  I *highly* recommend that you update to the latest plug-in version, available here:

http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-SmartBOB-USB-Plug-In

I also suggest that you log into your account on the PMDX support forums and "subscribe" to the Announcements forum.  This is a low volume forum where we announce new plug-in releases and new hardware releases.  To subscribe, click on "Announcements" forum to view the posts, then click on the "Notify" link in the upper left just above the message list.

Bob
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 05:05:16 AM »
Thanks Gary and Bob,
Gary, I'll look into the subroutine method, but I'm used to just using SheetCam.

Bob, I'll update everything when I get a chance. I will also send the profile package.
The .tap file was in the original post, but was hard to see in between the other 2 files.

Thank you both for your help,
Larry
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 08:42:59 AM »
Good morning Bob,
I also think my Mach4 build 4.0.1.2491 is too old to create a 'profile package', I will
update that as well.
Enclosed are 2 files that might help. Remove the .jpg extension
Thanks,
Larry
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 10:13:30 AM »
Oops - I gotta stop answering a oh-dark-thirty.  I saw "2491" and read it as "2914", which *is* a current release.  There have also been many enhancements and fixes to Mach4 since then.  When you install the latest Mach4, look at changing screen sets (go to "View" then "Load Screen" and try out the "wx4" screen set instead of the "wxMach" screen set that you have (probably) been using.

Bob
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »
When I looked at G-code and didn't see a canned cycle I thought you were programming by hand. If you are using a Cam program then the subroutine method is of no use.