Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:34:10 AM

Author Topic: Beware Pokeys 57E is NOT a stand alone BOB  (Read 11210 times)

Re: Beware Pokeys 57E is NOT a stand alone BOB
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
"if my Pokeys starts cooperating"

So, it has not been all smooth sailing for you either!  That's quite an undertaking.  I used to do stuff like that back when I was younger, but now that I'm 65 I hate giving up a single minute more than what is needed to get the job done.

I did get the axes all going this morning, and that was with the original optos on the motor controller boards.  It was just a matter of getting the internal LED correctly biased to limit the input current, which took a little more time than I would have liked.  I have to admit the potential of the 57E is phenomenal at the price, but my original topic heading holds true.  It is NOT a stand alone BOB.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 12:54:42 AM »
The PoKeys devices were not originally designed specifically for working with CNCs, but based on a very positive feedback from the CNC community, we started adding features to support such operation. These were all done in a form of firmware updates, which means that all customers that bought the cards, got new functions for free (we had to transition to newer 57 series hardware to give us more space for the growing firmware). PoKeys57E is now an ethernet-based general purpose I/O device and does not feature input/output protection circuits since it would limit other functions of the device. There are people (like danilom and others) that used PoKeys57E as brains and designed their own break-out-board for it to be 'prepared' for CNC world.

However, as you may have noticed, we (PoLabs) offer PoKeys57CNC device, which is designed for CNC. It offers some level of I/O protection (we are not using optocouplers on all IO) and its functionality is designed for CNCs.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 01:35:29 AM »
and the 57cnc work very well, they are the easy to set up you connect them up turn the power on run the pokeys firmware and that's about it