Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:31:08 AM

Author Topic: VB6 Automation Sample  (Read 11072 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: VB6 Automation Sample
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »
I've had a bit of a hack and changed a couple of things. See what you think.

Mainly I've changed the class to a module. The problem was that you had to access the methods and properties either via wrappers like mach.<helper> or via mach.oScript.<method>

As there can only ever be one instance of mach it seems easier to just access the object method directly.

So now you could do for example:

mach3.getOEMDRO(800) directly without the need for any wrappers.

Anyway - see what you think.

Offline dz32

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 12:40:44 PM »
yup looks good, class or module is fine. The reason I was adding wrapper functions around the oScript methods
was so that you had intellisense. I left oscript public so you could still access it directly to get ahold of everything.

type mach dot, and then it will pop up a list of the available functions. once
you select the function, it will then show you the function prototype. Otherwise you have to type blind
and it can not help on misspellings and you have to type the entire method name out manually

wrapping the functions, you can also include some extra functionality. In the git repo I have done this for a couple
such as the RunGCode

Code: [Select]
Sub RunGCode(singleLine As String, Optional andBlock As Boolean = True)
    On Error Resume Next
    oScript.code singleLine
    If andBlock Then
        While Me.IsMoving
            DoEvents
        Wend
    End If
End Sub

for the SendOEMcode you can also specify the argument to be of an enumeration type.
This will automatically display a list of available options you can choose from by name instead of having to
remember (and latter read) just numbers

Public Enum OEMCodes
    oem_FeedPerMin = 39
    oem_FeedPerRev = 40
    oem_JogCont = 204
end enum

Sub SendOEMCode(code As OEMCodes)
    On Error Resume Next
    oScript.DoOEMButton code
End Sub

another feature is to the read and write properties wrappers to simplify the interface

Property Get SpindleRPM() As Double
    On Error Resume Next
    SpindleRPM = oScript.GetRPM()
End Property

Property Let SpindleRPM(x As Double)
    On Error Resume Next
    oScript.SetSpinSpeed x
End Property

In order to read or set the rpm with this interface change, now all you have to do is:

msgbox mach.SpindleRPM
msch.SpindleRPM = 1200

I am not sure if modules allow you to use the property get/let construct.

Offline dz32

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »
I know the extra wrappers look like allot of typing and extra complexity initially, but they really make using the code latter almost brain dead simple and way less typing and way less error prone. it takes memory out of the equation and just shows you what functions it supports, what the arguments are , and in some cases like the enumerations lets you select the argument value you want from a list it automatically displays. Thats the real strength.

Offline dz32

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 03:10:27 AM »
Ok i did a bunch of testing on XP and win2k. I updated the InitMach() routine to automatically add the missing registry entry if its not found. Now works without problem with the current Mach3 build. I didnt try Vista+, should work fine but you will probably need to "Run as Administrator" for the first time so it has permission to add the registry keys.

The new initilization logic looks like this:
https://github.com/dzzie/home_automation/blob/master/mach3_vb6/CMach.cls#L165

Public Function InitMach() As Boolean
    On Error Resume Next

InitErrorMsg = Empty

If Not isMachRunning() Then
        InitErrorMsg = "Mach3 must be running"
        Exit Function
    End If

If Not isMachCOMObjRegistered() Then
        If Not RegisterMachCOMType() Then
            InitErrorMsg = "Could not register Mach ProgId in Registry. Run again as administrator."
            Exit Function
        End If
    End If

Set mach = GetObject(, "Mach4.Document")

If mach Is Nothing Then
        InitErrorMsg = "Failed to GetObject(Mach4.Document) " & Err.Description
        Exit Function
    End If

IncrementRefCount mach
    Set oScript = mach.GetScriptDispatch()

If Err.Number = 0 Then
        InitMach = True
    Else
        InitErrorMsg = "InitMach Failed: " & Err.Description
        Exit Function
    End If

End Function

Offline dz32

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 03:35:09 AM »
adding a zip of current snapshot for convenience/archival

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 05:55:19 AM »
I know the extra wrappers look like allot of typing and extra complexity initially, but they really make using the code latter almost brain dead simple and way less typing and way less error prone. it takes memory out of the equation and just shows you what functions it supports, what the arguments are , and in some cases like the enumerations lets you select the argument value you want from a list it automatically displays. Thats the real strength.

I have a lot of respect for what you've done. You clearly know your way around COM and the registry. I think you may be forgetting though that there are thousands of seasoned macro writers out there that know the existing calls and OEM codes and constants almost like the back of their hands. They SHOULD (IMHO) be able to use your automation without learning virtually anything new.

Example:

Your way

ReadDRO(axis_x)

The existing way

getOEMDRO(800)

So imagine one of these seasoned users. S/He's looking to read a DRO. He get's the dropdown and he scrolls through looking for getOEMDRO. It's not there. First thing he's going to say is WTF? Then eventually he realizes he needs to use ReadDRO. Second thing he's going to say is WTF have you changed the name for? We've been using getOEMDRO for donkey's years and now it's called something else... It's then going to get even worse because he's going to type 800 for X only to find it doesn't work.

It seems to me to be a real shame because I think what you've done has value.

So, FWIW - if you must have intellisense, I'd suggest you name the wrappers identically to the existing calls and don't introduce new symbolic constants.

Anyway - it's your gig as they say and these are obviously just my opinions and hope none of this p***es you off..

Thanks for sorting the version issue though - I think that's a great step forward. You obviously know your way around the registry - good work.

Offline dz32

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 07:14:03 AM »
that perspective makes allot of sense. Everything should kept identical to the documentation and expectations of users who are use to using it and know it inside and out. I didnt take that into consideration.

I am totally new to these functions, so I am trying to digest whats there, find what I will need and make it as simple to use as I can for me. I know I wont be using it everyday, a project here, a project there. For me I will need all the major functionality to be hand fed to be with the intellisense lists and enumeration types otherwise I will have to dig out the docs every time for every task.

The beauty of open source is it doesnt have to be A or B. The way it should be is exactly the way it makes sense to the people who use it. Not offended at all ! Consider my contribution the answers and code bits for the referencing counting and component registration. Grab that and run with it :)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
I think your contribution is great. I know quite a few folk have tried to sort the automation interface out (I'm one) and AFAIK you're the first to have done it. Certainly if anyone else has - they haven't shared it AFAIK.

Like you, I won't be using it every day as generally you can achieve a hell of a lot with just macros. However I have a couple of ideas that this may well be ideal for.

Any help you need - I'm sure you'll get it here.