Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 10:19:30 AM

Author Topic: digitizing in mach3 with a usb camera  (Read 2619 times)

digitizing in mach3 with a usb camera
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
hi all,

i am looking for an easy way to digitize perimeters from paper templates. perimeter digitizing with probe it does not work, since the paper is too flat.

i thought one solution would be to use an usb camera and manually drive to some of the points of the paper template perimeter and save them in a text file. openening that in rhino and makeing a curve out of these points should work for me, i dont need high accuracy.

does someone now a script that will save the position to a text file? so the workflow would be :
setting zero point x and y
move to a position with jog control
save that point to a the textfile
go to next point
save it

and so on.

if someone has better ideas to solve that problem please let me know.

thanks,
neptunier
Re: digitizing in mach3 with a usb camera
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:08:39 AM »
Try using "Copycat" in Mach3 wizards, in conjunction with the camera.
I don't know how this will go opening it in Rhino though.
There's a manual for Copycat that Rich wrote in the Members Docs section of the forum.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:14:28 AM »
There are a number of ways to do what you want and then some.

Have a  look at Copycat, there is manual for it in Member's Doc's and it will provide you with gcode file. The code can be backplotted to a dxf drawing if you have a program to do that.
It is used with a usb camera. Know nothing about Rhino so can't help there.

There is another program called Probe It and besides using for the lathe I "think" there is a version of it for the mill.
You must use Mach's original screen set.

Have you considered  just taking a picture and importing into to CAD, scale it based on two dimensions, and just draw over it?
Easy in say AutoCAD, but again know nothing about Rhino.

A spring activated probe can be used on paper. You are just closing the switch so speak. Just something to think about.

I created a screen set for my lathe. I was interested in being able quickly get a profile or  whatever with the option to do it a number of different ways and with different degrees of accuracy.
Selection depends on what you want in the end.
One of the quickest is  to just get a few selected points and have those points drawn in CAD as points, a line,  or an arc. It will not work with "all" CAD programs but works with the two that I use.
So one can put a figure in the  machine, get some points, have it drawn, import the file into a program, output the code, and be ready to duplicate in say 10 minutes.

Just some thoughts on what you want to do.

RICH

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »
thanks, that was what i was looking for.

i jog to the points, and in the editor i edit the textfile that i can import the points as pointcloud into rhino. i switch a "g1 x0 y0 z0" into "0,0,0" and then i have my points. i dont need a gcode output.

doing a photo might be possible too but i guess you have to be centred over the paper template which can be difficult. also i dont know about the lens in the camera whether ist will distort the template.

thanks again,
neptunier