Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:06:56 AM

Author Topic: Help! Panasonic Servo drive and ESS  (Read 14455 times)

Help! Panasonic Servo drive and ESS
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
Hi guys i'm new to the forum, looking for help regarding trying to control a Panasonic AC servo driver with the Ethernet smooth stepper and mach 4, struggling to find good documentation on the wiring to the 36 pin CN I/F input, also whether it accepts step/direction input or whether i will have to use a differential line driver, Also wiring diagrams for the 20 pin encoder input would be helpful, Cheers!
model of the driver: MSD083A1XX07

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Panasonic Servo drive and ESS
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »
Looks like it can, page 18 says Pulse and Signal which is another way of saying Step/Direction.
Looks like it wants differential inputs, may work single ended but I would highly recommend buying or making line drivers so that you can use the differenntial signals, much more noise immune.
https://industrial.panasonic.com/content/data/MT/PDF/MINAS-XXseries_manual_e.pdf

Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »
Hi Hood, thanks very much for your reply, will invest in a line driver for the step/direction when I get chance, just ordered the necessary components to make the cables for the CN I/F and the Encoder Signal connector, the manual says that it accepts 12-24 vdc control signals not sure whether the line driver will boost the 5v from the ESS to 24vdc or if that is necessary if you can clarify, also looking for a wiring diagram of the 15 way connector for the encoder as it's just coloured wires from the motor with no numbers cheers.

Regards Lewis.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »
The Step/Dir inputs will almost certainly be 5v.
The 12-24v is for the digital I/O, things such as Enable, Reset, Fault signals etc.

Don't know the motors you have so you would need to find info on them to get encoder wiring info.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:01:41 PM »
Hi thanks again for the advice Hood, so for the digital I/O I should just be able to use a 24v relay for the necessary things such as enable and reset and use the 5v outputs from the ESS to control them in mach? Also the motor model is: MSM082A1F - I had a look round but couldn't find any diagrams if you manage to find something that would be a godsend.

Thanks a lot !

Regards Lewis.

EDIT: found this but I'm not sure whether this is correct for my specific motor or whether encoder wiring is standard across there range of servos - photo below
Link to where I found manual: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://industrial.panasonic.com/content/data/MT/PDF/A4_ex.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjW-_iwyenMAhUkKcAKHWf-DkYQFggoMAI&usg=AFQjCNFJXnvLMVmEnSwi9tmaF3xMEgsOHw&sig2=BohptyORxXrpoaEoVUTUZQ
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:16:52 PM by BoronNitride »
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »
Hi thanks again for the advice Hood, so for the digital I/O I should just be able to use a 24v relay for the necessary things such as enable and reset and use the 5v outputs from the ESS to control them in mach? Also the motor model is: MSM082A1F - I had a look round but couldn't find any diagrams if you manage to find something that would be a godsend.

Thanks a lot !

Regards Lewis.

EDIT: found this but I'm not sure whether this is correct for my specific motor or whether encoder wiring is standard across there range of servos - photo below
Link to where I found manual: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://industrial.panasonic.com/content/data/MT/PDF/A4_ex.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjW-_iwyenMAhUkKcAKHWf-DkYQFggoMAI&usg=AFQjCNFJXnvLMVmEnSwi9tmaF3xMEgsOHw&sig2=BohptyORxXrpoaEoVUTUZQ
disregard that link it appears I have sent the wrong one also won't let me edit oops my bad, correct link
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:25:41 PM by BoronNitride »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
Haha, I was just about to post the same pic you have. It is a newer model motor but very likely the pin out of the encoder is the same. If the colours correspond then it is almost certain they are the same. If you have a scope you could wire 5v to the power wires and then scope the outputs to see.
The other thing you could do is open the case (do not remove the encoder) and see if you can find the part number of the line driver on the circuit inside the encoder. If you can, then you should be able to find a data sheet for it  and you could likely trace the wires and see if they correspond.

Regarding the I/O, yes you could use relays or you could use optos and make up a small circuit.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 07:52:46 AM »
Cheers again for the advice  ;), the opto isolators look like a way better idea than relays for what I want, will definitely get some of them, gonna try take the casing off the encoder later today and see if I can dig any info up.

Regards Lewis.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
OK I tried to take the plastic cover of the encoder but couldn't without damaging it so I thought best to leave it be, anyway I have uploaded a picture of the connector and the colours match the diagram, however I cannot confirm that it's 100% correct as I don't have an oscilloscope  :(

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 10:25:07 AM »
If the colours are the same then almost certain it will be the same as the diagram.

Hood