Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 09:52:19 AM

Author Topic: Pause above the work surface.  (Read 3325 times)

Pause above the work surface.
« on: May 21, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »
I'm wondering if there is a way to have the bit pause for a preset time above the work then go back to the next pass. I cut alot of acrylic and am looking for a cooling period between passes without the bit spinning in the work.

Thank you
Don

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Pause above the work surface.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 06:30:30 PM »
Hey Don,
    Several ways you could do this. Look in the config tab, safe z set up. This will raise your z when the stop button is pushed and lower it when you hit start again. You could edit your code to do this as well. I would think that you could play with yor feeds and speeds and eliminate the need for this all together. I haven't cut much acrylic though.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Hood

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 06:56:50 PM »
Put a Z move followed by a G4 P*  into your code (*being the time in seconds you want to stay there)
Hood
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 10:33:48 AM »
Thanks for the replys. This was recomended by the bit maker Onsrud to cut the brand of cast acrylic that I purchase. Its this or a cold air gun. Other than the $300 vortex I cant find a more affordable option.

Don
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:56:08 PM »
HI Don.
I cut acrylic a lot. It was suggested on this forum that air cooling is good, and now I have it set up I agree, but it ain't a $300 dollar vortex it's a pipe from a compressor. A very thin jet straight at the bit. It is so effective that when I turn the air down there is a point where all the cuts are clean excecpt those odd ones in the direction that is  sheltered by the bit, and in that region there is a touch a hint of rewelding.

Just thought it might help

Jim
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 07:16:20 PM »
It does, I'm going to build something and see what happens.

Don