Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:16:40 AM

Author Topic: Haas VF1 Conversion  (Read 15252 times)

Re: Haas VF1 Conversion
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »
Or, I'm open to Mach 4.  Lot of time in this and right at the end.  Putting all guards back on tomorrow and in theory start running a bunch of parts next week.
Little nervous that I make a stupid mistake when choosing how to control this VMC based on my experience with a simple 2 axis knee mill.

I get that I may have to operate the machine differently than I'm used to.  But what I'm seeing here is that if I need to "Pause" the gcode program, I have no choice but to start the program from the beginning or Stop It and do Run From Here (always confusing).  Thats a hard pill to swallow on very large programs and if true will leave machining marks in the part making them un-acceptable for delivery to customer.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
Don't often use feedhold on my machines as I have an external pot for feed override and use that all the time, especially on first runs, it too is delayed a bit but a log pot helps greatly.
Regarding the IP-A not coming out of a feedhold correctly then I have never seen that, on the odd occasion I do use it it has worked fine.
I presume you are not pressing Stop after the motion has stopped? If you are then that is your problem as it clears the buffer and it will just start from the next line.
Ver 066 is screwed up, use it at your own risk is all I will say.
Hood
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »
Thats atleast a start.  Pressing a Stop at anytime just kills everything and sets the gcode program to first line.  So, in my example, I am not pressing Stop after a Feed/hold.  If I do, it just resets the entire program. 

So, I guess I should revert to an ealier version and find out whats wrong over there....

I get it.  So goes the worm.  As you eat, you dig deeper.  (I just made that up, its pretty good I think)
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 06:59:32 PM »
Its probably some 8th century poet wrote that and I am just showing my stupidty in thinking I'm clever.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 07:00:13 PM »
Not sure if my code reverts to the beginning or not after pressing Stop, don't recall it doing so but possibly, will have to check tomorrow.
One thing, pressing Feedhold in and MDI move can not recover. You have to press Stop or maybe even Reset, can't quite remember, but after you do that you can then command another MDI if required.

Been looking again at Mach4, just messing around with it in Simulation but it is instant on feedhold and it is that way with external controllers as well, or so they say. Not sure how far on the CSMIO plugin is as I gave up a good while back as Mach4 kept changing and I think plugins were needing ground up rewrites. Think Mach4 has been stable since those days, as far as major updates are concerned, so maybe I will try it out on the Chiron at some point in time.
As said at the moment I am just messing about with it on the desktop, modifying the lathe screen, adding custom buttons, DROs etc and trying to get to grips with Lua :D But is very powerful and makes doing custom things very possible.

Hood
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 07:13:43 PM »
Hood,
So what would be the proper procedure to install a previous version.  Don't want to loose all the settings and macros.

Also, can you give me link to older versions.  NewFangled site only seems to have 66 linked?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 07:19:14 PM »
Always best to have a backup of stuff you do not want to lose,so easiest way is copy the whole Mach3 folder to another location.
Ok as for installing a different version, if you have a custom profile then it should not  be a problem, all you do is run the exe from the version you want and it will do its thing and all your custom stuff will be intact. But even if something very weird did happen you would have your custom stuff backed up ready to replace.

If however you are using a default profile then you will need to replace your macros etc after the install, again just a matter of copying the macros etc back after the install.

Older versions of Mach can be found on the ftp site, 062 is what most use.

ftp://machsupport.com/Mach3/

Hood
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 07:48:27 PM »
Wow.  They sure buried that link.  Finally found out how to find it.

http://www.machsupport.com/    Must Highlite "Software And Downloads"  Then choose MACH3
On Left, choose "Downloads and Updates"          http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/

Now choose "FTP DOWNLOADS"
Then choose "FTP SERVER-MAIN MENU"

Then Choose MACH3
Then PICK YOUR POISON

Can't believe I had to post to find out how to link to an older version.  I get a feeling I'm about to be banned from this site.  With a valid reason for once.  Come on guys.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 04:32:45 AM »
LOL yes it has always been a bit hidden for some reason, don't think it is deliberate as such, just programmers are weirdos ;D

Ok ran some tests, feedhold takes about 1 second for me but I ran some code and during the code I pressed Hold then Start at least 20 times and it worked no problem each time.
If I pressed Stop after a feedhold then the code stayed where it was, it did not rewind. Might be a setting in the plugin you have different, not sure.

Hood
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2016, 10:19:17 PM »
Hood,
I have test driven version 62 and mach4 with mixed results.  Can't completely say what is happening in each one yet but issue seems consistant across the board.  Their seems to be a major delay in stopping when using feed/hold.

I am attaching a gcode file.  Its in inches.  This part is nothing but radiuses.  Hoping you would be kind enough to play with it.  What I have noticed is that if you play with this file and hit feed/hold and start, you will see the issue.  It seems to just depend on when you press the Hold.  Eventlually, you will see your tool path cut across the part to the next known gcode coordinate.  This is true on a desktop setup with/with parallel port configured and its definately true on the actual machine with cslabs.

Even 1 second is insane.  At 300 inches per minute, that's 5 inches per second of travel.  On a commercial machine, hitting Feed/Hold stop the axis about as fast as the decel time would allow.  A few milliseconds.  And of course it would know where it is at when all was said and done.

I think if you have a bunch of linear moves, the problem is completely hidden unless you happen to get it hung up on a corner.  My guess is that even though it appears to be right, I bet a bunch of steps are lost.  Could only know for sure by running an actual part and doing the Start-Pause-Start...... over and over and then check the part.  I bet its crap.