Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:33:09 AM

Author Topic: Dual Motor Syncing and Z-Pulse qualification of limit  (Read 2120 times)

Offline JDL

•  3 3
    • View Profile
Dual Motor Syncing and Z-Pulse qualification of limit
« on: August 15, 2019, 06:38:54 PM »
Sorry if I'm in the wrong spot here - let me know.   I am about to redo a waterjet that has a motor on each side of the gantry.  I'm adding a servo drive to each side.  Does anyone know of a product that will sync both sides and qualify the limits with the Z pulse?

If there is no such thing - is there a demand for it?  I can build such a device if I need to - but I thought I would see if anyone had a better idea.
Re: Dual Motor Syncing and Z-Pulse qualification of limit
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »
I have a HiCon Integra from Vital Systems and I home to my servo index pulse - it works great.
Steve

Offline JDL

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »
I didn't spot any feature for syncing two sides of a gantry.  Is it clear what I mean by this?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 11:05:21 PM »
Hi,
Mach4 and most of the Mach4 ready motion controllers support 'index homing'. Including the Hicon as previously
mentioned, the Ethernet SmoothStepper and 57CNC. I suspect the UC300 and PMDX devices support it also but
cannot definitively say so.

An axis is homed to a home switch as per normal but then the servo/stepper will drive in a preset (programmable)
direction until it detects an Index signal. This allows for homing accuracy well in advance of a normal home switch.

Additionally Mach4 allows you to programmatically link and unlink slave motors from an axis. Thus you could, with some
ingenuity and Lua coding write homing routines to exactly synchronize a gantry.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline JDL

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 09:12:38 AM »
Thanks - that sounds like a good plan