Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:22:27 AM

Author Topic: Rotation radius or diameter? for display  (Read 8914 times)

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
Re: Rotation radius or diameter? for display
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 03:45:36 PM »
I think something else is wrong with Rodgers copy of Mach

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
How very odd.

My toolpath settings are the same, although the 'Use Radius for Feedrate' settings does no seem to matter for the display. (That figures.) But I can definitely confirm that the display only looks correct if I enter the diameter. I have played around with the X and Z DRO values to put the active point at one of the known positions, and it only matches the display when I use Diameter.

When I use the Radius the display is very obviously wrong. As I increase the value entered from 1/2 to 1 diameter, the display improves to a match. That change continues as I enter progressively larger values, greater than the actual diameter.

Could my version of Mach be faulty? Well, I dunno. It works very well on a semi-production basis the rest of the time, and the A axis works fine in practice. A bug in the code which just changes the way the radius/diameter is used for the display while not affecting anything else is a shade hard to credit.

Could it be an XML value or switch? That is always possible, given how fragile the XML seems to be. I will post a copy of my current XML shortly - it's out in the workshop and that machine does NOT have a network connection. It runs on sneaker-net.

Cheers
Roger

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 06:41:45 PM »
XML file from machine attached.
There is stuff in there which boggles me slightly - references to folders and files on Art's machine for instance!

Go for it. If you can find a switch which handles this, I would love to know.

Cheers
Roger

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 07:03:23 PM »
Correction - because the system has timed out so I can't edit a previous posting: the references to Art's machine were in the distributed version of the XML file. Those references have since been displaced by references to my files.

Mind you, the distributed XML also contains an entry for DXFDIR, which my active version does not. Interesting.

Cheers
Roger

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 07:17:59 PM »
Had a bit of a poke around with your xml. 

You had two motor outputs assigned to pin 7.  I don't think that was affecting anything.

Loaded my test file.  Would not display correctly until I zeroed all the axis DROs.  It then displayed correctly.

I have never noticed that behaviour before but it did the same thing with my xml.  Probably never noticed it as I would normally reference and zero DROs after startup and before loading file.

So try starting Mach, reference and/or zero all DROs and then load your file.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
Pin 7
Z axis Dir is Pin 7 on Port 1; C axis Dir is Pin 7 on Port 2. No conflict.
I use the C Dir as a universal sync signal when tuning the X, Y and Z servo drivers.

Referencing
I do zero the axes after startup. That is standard of course as the programming assumes a fully zero'ed system.
I have also tested with Ref Home and the same behaviour applies.

Um.
Cheers
Roger

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 09:13:08 PM »

Z axis Dir is Pin 7 on Port 1; C axis Dir is Pin 7 on Port 2. No conflict.
I use the C Dir as a universal sync signal when tuning the X, Y and Z servo drivers.

OK my bad. :)

xml works here.  Then that only leaves a corrupted installation or a poor version.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 09:49:40 PM »
Mach3 .062
Not, I suspect, a 'poor' version.

It works very well apart from the display funny. Hardly corrupted, UNLESS there is an unknown funny in the XML. I do not discount that possibility! But my XMl works OK on your machine - with RADIUS?

I wonder - what happens if you enter the Diameter instead?

Cheers
Roger

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »
Well up to you but I would do a fresh install.

Then I would do a fresh xml.  Starting from scratch.  Will only take a few minuets if you note all your settings.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 11:52:21 PM »
A fresh install. Well, that sometimes works, but right now the machine is functioning perfectly and the display accurately reflects what is being machined. The ROI would be kinda small, wouldn't it?

Cheers
Roger