Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:49:22 AM

Author Topic: Spindle relay control is confiigured, but M3/M4 won't turn on the spindle...  (Read 7837 times)

I believe I have Mach3 set up for M3 control of port1 pin 1 controlling a spindle relay.
(screenshots attached)

I can make the relay click (pin 1 toggle) when I toggle Ports & Pins, Spindle Low Active check mark.

But M3 in Gcode does not turn on the spindle relay or pin 1 on the D25 connector.

Also, on the Diagnostics screen, the Spindle Toggle button makes the "Output Signals
current State" indicator for Output 1 go on and off, but pin 1 on the D25 does not
change state, no relay click.

Messing with the Ports & Pins settings for Spindle does click the spindle relay.

What am I missing?

Thanks, Jim

What board are you using eg:  Gecko, Ess, will help diagnose your setup. I had troubles to with Gecko G540 and ESS and had to put PWM/Base Freq at 10 and Pulley 4 min 0 max 24000. Will check my settings if that's your setup.
Cheers Peter

Acoustic and Electric guitars and Basses.
It's all home brew, but the hardware isn't the problem.

Mach3 isn't toggling pin 1 of the D25 connector, even though I believe the setup
is correct to make spindle operations toggle pin 1.

I believe the screenshots attached to the initial post show a configuration for no
PWM, just M3 G code operating pin 1 and that energizing my spindle relay.

I know the hardware path from the PC to the spindle relay works, as I can cause
the spindle to start and stop by checking/unchecking the "Ports and Pins" page
"Spidle" "Step Low Active" box.  So Mach 3 has control of the spindle, but I can't
make the spindle start under program control, or with the "Spindle Toggle" button
on the "Diagnostics" page.

Thanks, Jim
Never mind...   Sorry!

The "Output 1" line in "Ports & ins" "Output Signals" had to be enabled set to port 1 and pin 1
and the polarity selected, as well as the settings in "Motor Outputs" and "Spindle Setup".

Getting the axis motors set up and limit switches configured was a breeze compared to getting
the spindle to spin.

Whew.  But it works now.

Thanks!

Hi,
I am going to tag on to Jim's post because my problem is similar and his post helped me get my relay clicking on, but it will not stay on. I have a PMDX-126 run by SS USB board.  My K1 relay does click on but goes off immediately, with the error message limit switch tripped. On the diagnostic tab I see no active inputs.  I think it must be some config error. 
Thanks for any help.
Todd

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
In Ports & Pins, the Step Pin# 1 is this an actual Pin which you wired your signal? On my BOB I have set it to 14 however you said that your BOB is home brew so your Pins may be different
Nicolas
Hi,
I am going to tag on to Jim's post because my problem is similar and his post helped me get my relay clicking on, but it will not stay on. I have a PMDX-126 run by SS USB board.  My K1 relay does click on but goes off immediately, with the error message limit switch tripped. On the diagnostic tab I see no active inputs.  I think it must be some config error. 
Thanks for any help.
Todd
Hi Todd,

What are you switching with the K1 relay?  And do you know how much current that device is drawing?  This sounds like a noise issue.  Electrical noise from the turn-on current of whatever the K1 relay is switching is somehow getting in to the isolated inputs on the PMDX-126 (or somehow in the connections between the PMDX-126 and the SS).

One thing to try is enabling filtering on the limit switch inputs.  It has been a LOOOONG time since I've looked at the USB SS config screens, and I don't remember if the SS pays attention to the "Debounce Interval" on the main Mach3 "General Configuration" dialog.  But somewhere there should be places to enable filtering.

If you turn of whatever power the K1 relay is switching, to the relay engages but there is no current flowing through the contacts, do you still get the limit switch message?

FYI - a better place for PMDX related support questions is our forums.  See my sig line below.  I don't regularly monitor the "General Mach Discussion" thread and I just happen to find this post.

Bob
Continuing from my response to Todd's question about the PMDX-126's K1 relay - it appears to have been a noise issue.  See the thread on the PMDX support forums:

http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-Forums/index.php?topic=264.0

Bob