Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:03:05 PM

Author Topic: Newbe questions  (Read 2868 times)

Newbe questions
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »
I am very new to CNC. I have had a manual lathe for a couple of years but just bought a Taig cnc machine. The machine is on the way to me now so while I am waiting for it I bought Mach3 and have been reading all I can on CNC. I know these are going to sound stupid so be easy on me.
The first question I have is when get code for a project from someone else how do you know how big it is? I have looked at a few on this forum but they don`t always tell you how big it is going be.
Second, once you mount your stock to the table how do you tell the software where it is and how big it is?
"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Newbe questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 02:39:18 PM »
The G-Code determines how big the part is going to be, if you go to toolpath the size of the part is shown in the dro's top right 'program limits'

The datum for the stock is set in the dro' by setting them to zero or by G54 to G59 to set a global datum that can be called at any time.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »
The G-Code determines how big the part is going to be, if you go to toolpath the size of the part is shown in the dro's top right 'program limits'

The datum for the stock is set in the dro' by setting them to zero or by G54 to G59 to set a global datum that can be called at any time.

Graham.

Thanks, now I see the size.
"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"

Hood

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:02:53 PM »
Also if you have limits on your mill and have the softlimits set you can press the display button beside the toolpath window and will toggle between job display and table display. In table display you will see the outline of your table and you can easily see if your job is within its boundaries.
Hood