Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:48:25 AM

Author Topic: Dual Axis Homing Question  (Read 2026 times)

Offline benha

•  20 20
    • View Profile
Dual Axis Homing Question
« on: March 17, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
Hi, Folks.

I've read a bunch of the posts around dual axis homing and haven't seen this addressed so I felt okay starting a new thread.  Hope I didn't miss something:

I'm setting up a router with two steppers on the X (long) axis - one for each side of the gantry.  X and A are slaved together and that's all working fine.  Historically I used a single home switch on the X axis and assumed things would be square enough, but I'm looking to improve my precision a bit and want to home X and A independently to ensure squareness.

The "obvious" approach to this is to ensure that the switches trigger at precisely the right place to ensure squareness.  That, however, requires micro-adjustment of the positions of the switches to tune things in.

What I'm hoping exists is a software offset that can be applied to the homed value of A, so that I can get the switches within 5 or 10 thou of "right" and then do the precision tuning by tweaking that parameter.  I haven't been able to figure out how to do that though.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
-Ben

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Dual Axis Homing Question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »
I think that it may be possible with certain motion controllers, but not if you're using the parallel port.
If possible, it would be in the plugin configration of the motion controller.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline benha

•  20 20
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Axis Homing Question
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »
I'm using an ESS.  Didn't realize there was a homing feature there. I'll have to look into that.