Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:42:29 AM

Author Topic: Some Newfangled Mill Wizard issues  (Read 13287 times)

Some Newfangled Mill Wizard issues
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:11:06 AM »
I am running Newfangled Mill Wizard version Revision 2.0.0 under Windows XP. Here are some issues I am having:

1) I am routing some cutouts (circles, rectangle) in a small plastic face plate. I am using a single-flute up-cut bit of 2mm size. My resulting cutouts are undersized by about 0.2mm. I thought that perhaps my cutter might somehow be smaller than spec, so I tried to fool the system by telling it that the cutter was 1.8mm. However, making this change does not seem to fix the problem. Still undersized. I did not have this problem when I used a 3mm cutter.

2) On the rectangular cutout, specifying CW or CCW cut direction does not seem to have any effect: it always cuts CCW.

3) On one job I had specified a hole list, but the data seems to get corrupted when the file is reopened, with "-1.#QNB" in some positions. I only specify one or two hole positions but, on re-opening the file, my entered co-ordinates are no longer there; some positions have 0.000 data or a large number in them or "-1.#QNB", while others are blank.

HELP!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:22:25 AM by Shonver »
Re: Some Newfangled Mill Wizard issues
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:11:32 AM »
I can answer #3 quickly. That problem was reported and fixed a few weeks ago. There is a V2.0.4x on the web site now that has that fix and a few others.

#1 sounds like the cutter is flexing under the tool load. Your 3mm cutter is enough larger to resist the forces better. I think  if you read the gcode you will find it is moving to the correct locations, the tool just cant follow it.

Try making the cut in two passes- first request a slightly smaller cut, then when the bulk of material is removed run a second pass that is only doing a small finish cut. You might even just try re-running the same program and see if it doesn't cleanup the edges to the right size.

On #2 I will have a look and fix it in the next release.

thanks
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:22:53 AM by Ron Ginger »
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:14:25 AM »
Hi Ron

Thanks for your reply and info. I'll download the latest version.

Try making the cut in two passes- first request a slightly smaller cut, then when the bulk of material is removed run a second pass that is only doing a small finish cut. You might even just try re-running the same program and see if it doesn't cleanup the edges to the right size.

I have tried this, even making 3 passes. The material is ABS plastic, and it is 1.9mm thick. I doubt that it is the cutter flexing. It has a 6mm shank. I even investigated the possibility of the work moving while routing. But I have since gone back to using a 3mm cutter (with 3mm shank) and the problem goes away when I use this bit.

Appreciate the support.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 11:12:17 AM »
Ron, I have installed the later version as per your advice.

1) I have not re-tested this with the new software. It again works OK with a 3mm cutter. Will report when I get an opportubnity to run the job again.

2) Will await next realease.

3) The reported problem appears to have been fixed. However, there are a couple of other problems:

4) Tool Change settings are not getting read in correctly from jobs set up in previous version (2.0.0). I am having to re-enter the settings. Reads own-version  saved file OK. Looks like a backwards compatibility issue.

5) The left data window in the Tool Properties dialogue (under Tool Change) sits on top of the window's label. I cannot directly click in this window; I have to use the tab and shift-tab keys to get to it.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:15:47 AM »
Ron, any news regarding the compatibility issues I am seeing (amongst others)?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »
For 4) you are right that it is a version compatibility problem, and I am sorry that it will not be fixed. We made a few changes to the job file along the way and there are a couple places where this has happened, to many to be fixed.

I do not see the issue you refer to in 5) can you post a screen shot?

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »
For 4) you are right that it is a version compatibility problem, and I am sorry that it will not be fixed. We made a few changes to the job file along the way and there are a couple places where this has happened, to many to be fixed.

Could you possibly provide a utility that will allow importing or conversion of old job files to current?

I do not see the issue you refer to in 5) can you post a screen shot?

See attachment
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 04:15:51 PM »
Ok, thanks, I see the problem, The label was getting changed after the form was created by the choice of Metric or English units. I have fixed the code, it will be in the next version when I release it. So far that is the only change so its not enough to release.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:25:46 PM by Ron Ginger »
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 05:49:19 PM »
Hi Ron

I find MW very useful but one irritation is that I have to enter the Max Plunge Rate each time I start the program:  for some reason the changes do not stick, unlike the other values in the Config dialog. I use metric units and the default of 60mm/min is far too low. Unless this is changed in advance, jobs  do not load properly (the tool changes are disabled).

I have also noticed that the rectangle tool can produce rogue tool paths when set to cut inside, though if the polygon tool is used instead, it works fine.

Finally, setting Spiral for the rectangle/polygon tools do not result in a Spiral cut, rather a zigzag  start at each level.. I would rather see a true spiral down, as happens with the circle tool.

It would be great if you could put these issues on your fix list for the next release.

Allan

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 10:20:06 PM »
OK, I found and fixed the Max Plunge value problem- I had code calling it Plung in a couple places and Plunge in others. Not the same!

That will be in the next release, after I track down a couple other problems.

I have had other mentions of the rogue toolpath in rectangles. can you show me a job file  that does it?