Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:16:09 AM

Author Topic: Index RPM will not return to zero  (Read 4764 times)

Re: Index RPM will not return to zero
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »
Im using an older version that came with the machine. Thanks for the info. I just figured the RPM's would return to zero if the computer isnt receiving the clock signal. Also, Does anyone know the current specs for the parallel port. The sensor outputs 4.5v @ 200ma, im debating whether to put a resistor in to reduce the current.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »
The old version is likely the problem.
In Later versions Art changed things so that the RPM would only start to show if you started the spindle via Mach (G Code or button) and it would stop reading when you stopped by the same method.

In older versions Mach never really knew when the actual spindle had stopped and thus you could get a reading showing for a long time after the spindle had actually stopped, especially if you had spindle speed averaging applied.
Hood
Index RPM will not return to zero
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 03:43:29 AM »
Which parallel port?  Actually it doesn't matter, the sensor will output up to 200 mA, depending on the impedance it's connected to.  Actually a resistor is more likely to cause problems as it will reduce the voltage swing at the port input and reduce noise tolerance.

By the way I have the latest recommended version for threading and I switch the spindle on and off manually.  But have to press "spindle" button to tell Mach 3 that lathe is started and rpm reading still persists when I manually stop the lathe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 03:50:20 AM »
and rpm reading still persists when I manually stop the lathe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes you need to stop the spindle either by using M3 in the code or pressing the Stop on screen. Of course you don't actually have to stop the spindle by these methods but rather you are telling Mach you have stopped the spindle even though you use external (to Mach) method of starting/stopping.

Hood