Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:58:54 PM

Author Topic: MDI glitches  (Read 2240 times)

MDI glitches
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:04:10 PM »
Hey all.

Having an intermittent issue.  When using the MDI screen I will often move the 3 axis' for various reasons, I use this screen a lot.  For example, I will touch off the tool on the top of rough stock, 0 Z and then jog up and off the top of the stock to the side, type in Z-.020, start the spindle and face top of said stock.  Move off the end, type Z-.040 and face again.  Or another thing I like to do before hitting "start" when running a program is to type G0 X0 Y0 Z0 and the tool moves to the origin, just want to double check everything first.  Then I will jog Z up and then click start. 

In both common situations, I will type in the command and hit enter.  The computer will ding, (meaning to me the computer has registered the command), but nothing happens.  I then have to close Mach3, reopen and then MDI will then work, sometimes 10 times, sometimes only 1 or 2 times, then it will lock up and I again have to restart Mach3. 

I don't believe it to be a keyboard issue.  Typing the code and hitting enter all work, confirmed by the MDI line and the enter key "ding". 
Rerouted all the cables for the mouse, keyboard and USB cable away from the steppers, controller box, power supply etc. 
Grounded the PC to the controller box. 
Using version .066 (considering installing a previous version)

Let me know what you think

Pete

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: MDI glitches
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:25:38 PM »
What motion controller are you using?

First thing would be to go back to version 3.043.062.
2nd thing would be to ask the manufacturer of the motion controller.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »
Hey Ger21,

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Yeah, I am going to install .062 when the machine frees up. 

I am using http://leafboy77.com/index.php/en/ for the interface board.  Have it on 2 other machines and is bullet proof.  I'll contact the dealer if need be, I gave them bloody H377 with the first board (completely different board, had it's share of different glitches)

Pete
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:28:49 PM »
Late last night I was working on the control box, houses the power supply, interface board and stepper controllers.  I got a little shock and discovered 68VAC between the case of the controller box and ground when the USB cable was unplugged.  Found the ground prong broken on the power cord plug. So the USB cable shielding was carrying the faulted ground condition to ground thru the PC.  Anyway, ran out of time and so hopefully this will be the fix for the MDI intermittent issues.   
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:10:52 AM »
No, the stray voltage issue was no the problem with the intermittent MDI operation.  Will backtrack Mach3 version to .062 when I get a chance, hopefully, that will fix it. 
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 12:04:11 AM »
Finally figured out the MDI not working issue, not fixed but an easy workaround. 

To elaborate again, sometimes when using the MDI screen, I would type in a command and press enter.  All I would get would be a ding from the PC and no movement.  Figured out that the issue is the shift key.  If I use MDI and only get a ding, I just have to tap the shift key and then the MDI command will work upon pressing enter.  Changed out keyboards and had no change.  But what I think is going on is when I am jogging, I press the shift key (for top speed) and an arrow key for the axis.  I think what I need to do is release the shift key first, then the arrow key when I want to stop. 

I'll give that a try Monday.