Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:03:40 PM

Author Topic: plasma/mach3 line segments issue.  (Read 2188 times)

plasma/mach3 line segments issue.
« on: March 06, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to work out why any dxf file I make looks segmented on import to sheetcam and import to Mach3. I normally cut 3d forms in foam using the vectric aspire package but have recently set the machine up as a plasma cutter and it requires more knowledge about vector files and dxf preparation it seems to get smooth cut curves.

Every file I bring into mach 3 appears as segmented lines. Is this just as it always appear or is it an issue from the original dxf or a mechanical issue?

I've attached file examples and screen grabs of my mach3 setting to assist. A few variables i'm sure you'll agree.
current Mach3 setting for plasma
Velocity 17500 (metric)
Acceleration 1750 (metric)
CV ON
IJ settings?

Using a process of elimination I thought it might be good to tackle the dxf and gcode first as the mach3 screen clearly shows segmented lines.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:49:24 PM by marbles »
Re: plasma/mach3 line segments issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 07:50:23 PM »
Mach3 just does as it's told and cannot be affected by mechanical issues as there is no feedback, it tells the steppers to move and assumes they have.
I use BobCad-CAM V25 and have no such issues so you can nail this down to what's happening before you get to Mach3.
Ideally someone who uses the same workflow prior to Mach3 as you will be able to assist,
Regards,
Nick

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: plasma/mach3 line segments issue.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 01:48:40 AM »
It appears that the post-processor you are using is creating the segmented curves. Perhaps there is post-processor available within your CAM software that supports arcs ??

Tweakie.
PEACE