Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:22:55 AM

Author Topic: code for a repeat single axis driller  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Jim G

•  22 22
    • View Profile
code for a repeat single axis driller
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:34:58 PM »
Having trouble getting the code to work. Using Mach3
Basically want the start with an input to the driller - then when the driller finishes signal the stepper to move the desired amount then signal the driller to drill and so forth - usually a set repeat.
Controller has 3 outputs and inputs...
Can get it to cycle and dwell for a short time but send or receive the signal.

any ideas - new to the g-code stuff but have some experienced help..

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: code for a repeat single axis driller
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:31:09 PM »
It will depend on HOW your driller communicates with Mach3 as to HOW you will need to go about it. Bascially what you describe is not a Gcode process but more of a PLC ( programable logic controller) process .

(;-) TP

Offline Jim G

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:45:56 PM »
I am using a Mach 3 program and a controller from CNC router parts that has 3 outputs and 3 inputs. The out puts will trigger a 24v AC valve that will actuate the driller. The signal needs to be momentary so the drillers can cycle and return to the rest position. The drillers will then send a signal via a proximity switch to the controller to move the puller to the next position - where it will signal the driller and repeat the signal .

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »
OK Can you define Momentary ? Would that be a 1 sec signal or longer and what defines how long it needs to be OR can it simply wait on the driller to reach teh bottom of stroke ??

THIS would be very simple IF you made the driller into the Z axis and drove it all from Gcode. As is you will need both Gcode and Macros to do what is needed.  

(;-) TP

Offline Jim G

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 05:25:03 PM »
The signal can be as short as 1/10  of a second. The drillers are Desoutter units and are the standard air over eclectric models.
They drill at angles so I am just setting this up with a puller for positioning the wood under the drills.
If using the z axis the drillers would have to be moved with steppers as well?  I am pretty sure I need Macros.

Thanks for the help.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 06:03:11 PM »
OK  few more questions. Will this be a continous feed type of thing or do you load a part complete the process then unload and  Load another part to be processed?

(;-) TP

Offline Jim G

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 06:39:23 PM »
load a part - complete the process and unload and repeat..... thousands of times .......

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 07:33:11 PM »
It is doable from Mach3 You use Gcode to do the motion and a macro to control the stop start . A macro(Mcode) in the Gcode would control the Driller process.

The macro would simply turn on outputs and watch for inputs to signal things were done then the Gcode side starts motion again and repeat.

IF there is any way I can help just let me know. I can walk you through the Macro code side and the Gcode side is very easy to do

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:35:04 PM by BR549 »

Offline Jim G

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
I have some macros loaded from the guys at CNC router parts.. how do I add stuff to these replys so you see what I am working with..

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 09:41:45 AM »
Hit the reply button THEN the addition options button.

(;-) TP