Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:04:31 PM

Author Topic: Spindle delay for laser  (Read 2514 times)

Spindle delay for laser
« on: December 16, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »
Hi,

I'm playing with exposing photoresist with a laser on an xy table, I'm using the spindle relay output to turn the laser on/off and noticed a short delay after the M3 command. I've reduced the spin up/down delays to zero and there is still a delay.

From reading other threads is seems there is a work around using M10P/M110P commands but as this will require yet more post processor tweaking I thought I would ask if there is any particular reason why M3 must have a delay? One person suggested it made sense because it often has one set anyway but that doesn't compute to me.

I'm using a CSMIO controller if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Graham
Re: Spindle delay for laser
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 02:33:42 PM »
First you need to find out if m10px / m11px commands are compatible with cismo motion controllers.

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 05:41:23 PM »

After some more searching I discovered that in May someone had a similar issue and emailed CSMIO to ask if they supported the M10/M11 codes they were told no but it would be available shortly. I emailed yesterday and got a reply saying is is not supported but will be for Mach4 in the future.

So as I've been basically left in the lurch I added a delay to my laser driver so it waits for a short time after receiving the on signal before lasing and this has got me going for the time being. It is just a microcontroller that converts a 0-10v analogue signal to PWM for the laser diode and also takes in a 24v spindle on/off signal so it was fairly trivial although I had to tweak the timings quite a bit.

Graham
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »
Graham,

Unfortunatly its all down to the motion controller.

I've not got going with Mach4 despite having a licence, but the loop speed is much quicker with regards to M code execution so it may be less of a problem for the hesitation or delay.

I use the ethernet smooth stepper and it has M10/M11 codes built in to the current driver for M3.... but not yet for the looooong awaited M4 updated driver.  I am also a plasma user not laser, but use the codes to toggle THC on and off without hesitation.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 08:07:26 PM »
Yes I saw that SS supports it, I thought CSMIO would as they state that all Mach 3 m-codes "should" work in their FAQ but OH well I got it working and without having to touch my post processor again. I'm planning a plasma cutter too so it's good practise.