Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 01:12:13 AM

Author Topic: Click PLC TCP Modbus?  (Read 5270 times)

Click PLC TCP Modbus?
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »
I have never used Modbus before and I can't really find anything to help me out to set up the Click PLC from automation direct.  Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
Thanks
-Chad
Chad Byrd
Re: Click PLC TCP Modbus?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 02:53:15 PM »
Hey Chad,
  This helped me out with the Send and Receive instructions with the Click I recently used on a project.
Hope it helps you too.

Regards,
Russ
 :)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:04:17 PM »
Russ,
Thanks for the article.  Didn't find anything to help me set up Mach 3 however.  I don't know what to put into the TCP Modbus setup.  The Address (local and Modbus) and the slave.  I'm trying to figure this out but not having much luck.  Here is where I am at.  I have established communication between the PLC and Mach3, I clicked the test button and clicked open, from there I checked discrete inputs and 3 registers; It would read "0000" when the buttons were open and "0001" when the buttons were closed.  So I know that Mach can communicate with the Click.  I just don't know what do from here. 

In the picture, the right side is the Click PLC "Send" Setup.  The left is Mach3 TCP Setup.  I don't know what information I need to put where.

-Chad
Chad Byrd
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 06:40:27 PM »
http://www.machsupport.com/videos/

Watch "Introduction to ModBus"
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »
Thanks for the video link.  I had forgotten that their were videos to help. 

I have figured out a way to make it work.  On the click PLC it has inputs labeled X1, X2, ETC..., these inputs are the order that the Modbus is reading them in Mach3.  In the TCP Setup, I check the Cfg to enable it, then

I give it the modbus address of "0" for input "X1", "1" for in put "X2" , ETC.  It didn't seem to matter at all how I had the PLC set up as long as it was set for an input to send a modbus command.  In the brain I just used

the TCP modbus check box and Cfg# and it works.  Probably not the best way to use Modbus, but it seems to be working for me thus far. 

Now on to more testing.  Going to figure out outputs.  Thanks again Russ for the links, they were informative! 

-Chad
Chad Byrd