Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:45:53 AM

Author Topic: Selecting the right equipment for a Bridgeport BOSS retrofit  (Read 7188 times)

Selecting the right equipment for a Bridgeport BOSS retrofit
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »
Hi All,

After my first post here I've abandoned ideas of trying to use a Mac to run my Mach retrofitted mill.

See old post:   www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,31444.0.html

Gerry was kind enough to suggest a UC100 motion controller in combination with a C10 breakout board which seems like they would do, but one answer always seems to breed three more questions.

This machine has the usual X,Y & Z axis with limit switches.  Additionally this machine has air actuated spindle brake and air actuated spindle speed adjustment, as well as high and low range gearing for the spindle. Then there is also the Bijour lube pump.   Because of the air actuation there would be two separate electrical circuits for each function.  For spindle braking on & off ,and for spindle speed up and down. The high and low range may require some type of sensor circuit too. My question is will the C10 be enough to handle all of these functions?  I don't mind spending a little extra to get the right hardware. Perhaps an integrated motion controller and BOB ?http://

Secondly I've read some debate on Mach4 versus 3.  Seems that Mach 4 is coming along and being a novice machinist I probably won't be needing much of the higher functionality I hear it's lacking compared to Mach3. Should I just start out with 4?  If so does anyone have recommendation on a PC that works well with Mach 4?  (or Mach 3 if you think I should swing that way)  Again I'm not just looking for a bargain basement PC I'm more interested in reliability.

I should mention that I'll be using Slo-Syn SS200D6 drivers.  I just picked up two of the three that I'll need.  Oh, and I may want a 4th axis some day, but even a basic C10 has 4 axis capability.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:18:44 PM by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Selecting the right equipment for a Bridgeport BOSS retrofit
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 01:54:35 AM »
If (at this moment in time) you just want the basic X - Y - Z milling then I would go for Mach4.
If you want the X - Y - Z and to incorporate all the air controlled functions (at this moment in time) then I would go for Mach3.

(Mach4 is coming along slowly but, in my opinion, it is not yet ready to fully take over from Mach3)

From the official documentation...

Software Requirements

Mach4 Recommended Requirements:

PREFERRED: 32 or 64-bit Laptop or Desktop – Using an External Motion Controller
•   Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
•   An appropriate external motion controller
•   Mach4 Plugin for the selected Motion Controller
•   2Ghz CPU
•   1GB RAM
•   Video Card with 256MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)
*Use of Parallel Port for machine control only with desktop style computers with 32-bit versions of windows 7 and below.
32-bit Desktop – Parallel Port Recommended Requirements
•   32-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
•   Mach4 Parallel Port Legacy Plugin (cost applicable)
•   2Ghz CPU
•   1GB RAM
•   Non-integrated Video Card with 256MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Mach3 Minimum Recommended Requirements:

Requirements if using the parallel port for machine control:
•   Desktop PC (Laptops are not supported) with at least one parallel port
•   32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (64-bit versions will not work)
•   1Ghz CPU
•   512MB RAM
•   Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)
Requirements if using an external motion device for machine control:
•   An appropriate external motion controller (options can be found on the Plugins page)
•   Desktop or Laptop with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
•   1Ghz CPU
•   512MB RAM
•   Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »
Thanks Tweakie,

I think I'd better go with Mach 3 then.   I definitely want to be able to control pneumatic solenoids with Mach.  Those switches on my machine are worn, and I'd like to be able to be more hands free when a job is running.   I won't mind paying for an upgrade to 4 when it's ready.

Going to start looking for some BOB/motion controller that will handle these functions.  

Offline royce

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »
I just finished a Boss 5 retrofit with Mach4, and still left the air solenoids in-tact. No problems with Mach4 any more since the new updates. I don't see why you would want Mach to control the solenoids opposed to a VFD without an inductive sensor on the spindle, PWM is pretty accurate. I use the front panel switch to control mine (24vdc solenoids), along with the brake. I went with PMDX126 BOB, PMDX 107 spindle control, Hitachi WJ200 3hp VFD (single phase input, 3 phase output) also added a brake, ESS, Leadshine DM2282 drivers (tuning software was able to microstep original steppers 8x surprisingly nice). The spindle LOW GEAR reverses spindle direction, keep that in mind. You shouldn't use the pneumatic brake to stop the spindle, only for tool changes... I wired the bijour pump to come on only when the spindle is running. Right now i'm about to start an enclosure for a 17" LCD touch screen, leaving enough room for a control panel that i'll integrate with a pokeys56 usb interface to mach4. I can send you some pictures/video if interested, just pm me. I might also have some extra sets of switches as I bought three Boss 5's worth of extra parts when I got my machine.

I was running an Athlon 64 at first, ancient machine but did okay when disabling the cutter path in Mach 4. Last month I picked up an older used Intel i-7 for $300 off CL and runs like a champ.

I'm not a fan of chinese boards and i'm lucky to attend PMDX HQ for monthly CNC meetings so if you can afford it, I highly recommend.
Bridgeport Series 1 Rigid Ram Retrofitted w/PMDX126 BOB, PMDX107, Hitachi WJ200 VFD,ESS, Leadshine DM2282 Drivers running Mach4 comfortably.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »
Thanks Royce!    PM sent.    I'm on a big learning curve right now, both with the normal operation of a CNC mill and all the design that goes into engineering the right electronics to run it.  I keep finding more info every day though.  I'll get there.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 05:48:40 PM »
I have just acquired a Series I CNC with BOSS 5.
I'm planning to use MACH 3 and ESS, both that I already have for my CNC Router. 
Planning to use a different BOB for the mill.

I've been cleaning and researching so far.
Found out it was wired for 460, even though all the tags said 230.
Had to order new fuses and heaters for the lower voltage.

Anyone have a suggestion of the Pneumatic oil to use in the lubricator for the Spindle Brake and Speed Control.
I removed the bowl and it appears that no oil has ever been put in it.
The only notes I have found are for the Series II showing "Texaco Copella 'A'"
which I have not been able to find an exact match or substitution for.

Does anyone know where the Actual Machine Serial Number is located?
There are varying numbers on the machine!
It's kind of confusing.

It's been a learning experience, so far.

Bruce
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 07:31:34 AM »
Bruce,
I used to build pneumatic operated packaging machinery, 25 to 40 strokes per minute on about 10 cylinders all day long. We stopped using lubricators because they mostly make a mess where the air goes back and forth to a cylinder. We just put a couple drops of oil in both ports of a cylinder at installation. The cylinders would typically go  up to 7 million operations before replacement.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 02:37:18 PM »
Manual operation with no system modification:
Spindle runs both directions.
Speed changer works.
Brake works.
E-stop and limits work.

Cannot get table to move at all.
Checked all fuses and power, so assume it's SMD board issues.

Have purchased another ESS (decided I didn't want to rob from my CNC Router) and also the PMDX-126.
Have not hooked either up yet, because I wanted to make sure the Bridgeport drivers were working.

At this point, I'm planning to purchase the three Leadshine DM2282 Drivers.
My question has to do with setup options of the DM2282 driver with the Sigma Stepper.
It appears to be about 5000 options to choose from (exaggeration of course), but if I can glean some knowledge from several people about settings it will relieve some of my angst about not killing a stepper or driver.
So anyone willing to chime in.
I know Royce has this setup, anyone else?

As soon as I get the drivers, I'll do the tear-out and rewire.
Since I'm Socially Insecure, it'll have to wait a little while.

Bruce
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
So as an update, how are your retrofits working?

Offline royce

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 06:31:14 PM »
I am very happy with mine since that big ESS update last year. I installed a spindle sensor 360ppr into the hole at the top of the variable speed head, though only using one rev pulse until Warp9's next update. Once that comes out I'll rewire to those 360 degree pulse inputs and tweak the spindle speed correction (planning on rigid/semi tapping)
Bridgeport Series 1 Rigid Ram Retrofitted w/PMDX126 BOB, PMDX107, Hitachi WJ200 VFD,ESS, Leadshine DM2282 Drivers running Mach4 comfortably.