Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:49:13 PM

Author Topic: Use probing for tool zeroing  (Read 16886 times)

Re: Use probing for tool zeroing
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
Sounds like a bug in the PMDX plugin. Be sure to report this to them.

Why do you say that?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 09:58:26 PM »
You shouldn't have to turn off the softlimits to probe, I don't think.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 09:58:36 PM »
this is the macro b for tool hight probeing, it worked last time I used it, use at own risk

G49 (Cancel TLO)

G58 (Switch to work offset G58)

G0 X0 Y0 (move the tool over the toolsetter)

G31 Z-10 F150 (probe tool down till it touches the toolsetter)

G10 L1 P1 Z#2002 (set the tool length offset value to the G58 Z position where the probe tripped)

G0 Z5 (move up to safe distance)

G54 (reapply old work offset coordinate system)

G43 H1 (apply new TLO for tool 1)
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »

I agree, but what makes you say that's a PMDX issue? I'm don't see why? Not saying you're wrong, just want to understand what makes you say that.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 10:57:59 PM »
tool height probing is a defined operation, like ref all home. it's a basic function of the machine control the only thing that should affect it is the different ways to stop motion, stop, estop, feed hold
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 12:31:33 AM »
Sounds like a bug in the PMDX plugin. Be sure to report this to them.
and

I can't rule anything out at this point, and it *may* be an issue with our plug-in, but at first glance I would be surprised.  Soft limits are handled entirely by the Mach4 core and motion planner.  Our plug-in has nothing to do with them.  Probing motion comes to the plug-in through the Mach4 motion planner, same as GCode motion.  Well, up until the point where the probe makes contact - then the SmartBOB takes over the motion and halts movement (decelerates to a stop).

Since the purpose of this sequence is to set a new zero point for the Z axis, what *may* be happening is that changing the Z position in the DRO and then moving for the probe motion might be exceeding the soft limits.  Your profile that I have here has the Z axis soft limits as -7.5 to 0 (presuming that you have fixed the max/min values in the proper, non-intuitive columns).  If the canned probing routines try to move the Z axis up (which I presume is toward a more positive position) it may trigger the soft limit when it moves above the zero that you just set.  This is pure speculation on my part as I haven't tested any of this.

If you want, enable our debug log to a file, run the tool zero sequence with soft limits enabled, then send us the log file (or the Mach4 package if that is easier).  That should tell me pretty quickly if the issue is in our plug-in.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 12:37:20 AM »
note to everyone when you are having problems run the logging and post it and your .ini. it will make suport 100 times easier and faster

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 02:59:45 AM »
It works. It's not ideal but it'll do until they release the version including tool zeroing.
Here's what you do.
Set your block on top of your material.
Move the z down to a close distance from the end of the tool.
Zero your Z axis DRO.
Go to the "probing" screen.
Set the Z position to a negative amount that will result in contact with your plate.
Set "Measure Type" to "set Fixture".
Press the measure Z button.
It'll go through it's sequence, when done, the number in your Z DRO is the amount it is above your block.
Remove your block, do a G0 Z-(distance in z DRO + Block thickness)
the tool tip will be at the top of your material, set your DRO to 0.
Or you can just add the thickness of your block to the "end result" DRO number and set the Z DRO to that sum. I'm sure you get the picture with that.

??  How automatic is all that, did you actualy try the code i posted, thats automatic and basically does all that manual work for you.

Daz
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »
It works. It's not ideal but it'll do until they release the version including tool zeroing.
Here's what you do.
Set your block on top of your material.
Move the z down to a close distance from the end of the tool.
Zero your Z axis DRO.
Go to the "probing" screen.
Set the Z position to a negative amount that will result in contact with your plate.
Set "Measure Type" to "set Fixture".
Press the measure Z button.
It'll go through it's sequence, when done, the number in your Z DRO is the amount it is above your block.
Remove your block, do a G0 Z-(distance in z DRO + Block thickness)
the tool tip will be at the top of your material, set your DRO to 0.
Or you can just add the thickness of your block to the "end result" DRO number and set the Z DRO to that sum. I'm sure you get the picture with that.

??  How automatic is all that, did you actualy try the code i posted, thats automatic and basically does all that manual work for you.

Daz

"""It works. It's not ideal but it'll do until they release the version including tool zeroing."""

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 02:47:58 PM »
ok thankyou for your time in replying.

dtg
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas