Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:25:36 PM

Author Topic: I had stroke!  (Read 4260 times)

I had stroke!
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »
I posted this a few days ago on another forum but thought it may be interesting to my friends here.  I'm still typing very slow so I'll just copy/paste it.  Not looking for sympathy just thought maybe it would possibly inspire someone to talk to their doctor about stroke prevention in their life or just plain take a breath & slow down a bit.  I'm a young and (I thought) healthy almost 68 year old (2 weeks away) and this thing has changed my life...who knows, maybe for life.  Anyhoo, here goes:

"It happened at 2:30 in the afternoon, Sunday November 1st with no prior symptoms or warnings whatsoever. I was having a little “afternoon delight” fun with SWMBO and BAM, I had a burning sensation across my face, suddenly I started talking with awful slur, my right arm got suddenly useless, right leg got limp and I broke out into a cold sweat and got nauseous. Wife called 911 and they rushed me by ambulance to a nearby hospital where they stabilized me & did a CT scan. They said yep, you had a bleed in the Pons area near the brain stem but we don’t treat that here and we will transport you downtown where they are equipped to handle this problem. I was all set for a heli ride but low ceiling conditions cancelled that & I had to endure another bumpy, stinky (I hate diesel stink) ambulance ride.

They handled me quickly and made me feel very special at a time when I felt disgusted with myself and totally worthless. What had I done to deserve this? Oh well, at least I was still around with at least some hope for the future. My wife & kids were there for me en masse for the whole deal asking lots of questions as I couldn’t talk for the 1st day or so. The worst part during the 1st 36 hrs. was not being able to urinate. I had to be catheterized 4 times (OUCH!) before I was able to stand up beside the bed and pee in a bottle Ahh, one takes the simple things for granted!

Anyhoo, a few days were spent in intensive care, I got an MRI (what a test of patience that is) & they kicked me out & across the street to the rehab facility. They were kind enough to provide a private room so the wife could stay with me the whole time. The therapists worked me long & hard & by the 7th day  they kicked me out & I went home, yay!! Today’s the 1st day I’ve felt strong enough to grind out this post. I’ve been working on it for hours & hours. Man, this is one of the hardest things I’ve done in a WHILE!!

They changed up my blood pressure meds dramatically, added a few more new things and it looks good for a decent recovery. Good thing I have CNC to help me in the shop, at almost 68 & un-retired, I got way too many things to get finished yet! "
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: I had stroke!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:33:26 AM »
I am glad to hear you are still here with us Dickeybird - keep up the recovery my friend.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »
I am glad to hear you are still here with us Dickeybird - keep up the recovery my friend.

Tweakie.
Thanks Tweakie, I'm definitely here and recovering!.  I'm so-o-o-o weak though.  I never dreamed it'd be this slow once I got home.  I think it's the new blood pressure meds that are knocking the wind out m'sails.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:28:05 PM »
Seems like your showing good signs for recovery. Just keep working hard at recovering to the best that you can be.
You can do it, you will get stronger, remember you had a number of years to develop the patience and positive attitude
and now is the time to utilize it. The first step to achieving any goal is to envision it.

Wish you and your's the best,

RICH

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing and I am glad you are doing well. Just out of curiosity, what part of TN are you in?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 11:59:28 AM »
Southwest corner of the state, just outside of Memphis in the town of Collierville.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »
  Though I am a native Texan, my mothers family lived in Brownsville. I go there every year for a reunion. Many relatives in and around Memphis area. Anyone named Taylor or Thornton ;-)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 08:38:57 AM »
Glad to hear your on the mend Dickeybird! Lots of good guys here thinking of you and wishing you well.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 09:11:54 AM »
Thanks Brett, I really appreciate everyone's  well wishes.

I went out in the shop a couple days ago to piddle around & clean up a little.  It felt so good that I ended up doing a little project.  I took the aluminum disc off my home made sander and trued it up on the lathe.  I got so engrossed in it that I spent several non stop hours on it.  Other than being slow & clumsy I completely forgot I was supposed to be recovering from a stroke.  It's the longest I've been up & out of bed since it happened.  Now I know the secret to stroke recovery: stay busy doing things that make you happy!

(Had to rest yesterday though, I was tired!)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 01:42:17 PM »
Awesome! Good on you!  :)
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!