Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:48:05 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 backlash compensation  (Read 1844 times)

Mach3 backlash compensation
« on: June 04, 2021, 11:08:03 AM »

Hi friends. I would like to know if it is normal that when activating backlash compensation the axes move in a very strange way. I have a .25mm backlash in x and .7mm in Y (very big, I know) but the problem is that when I activate backlash compensation and change direction the movement starts to accelerate and then almost stops and accelerates again. also when I cut a straight figure the cut looks very good but when I make curves or circles it is as if I compensate the backlash by jumps, leaving some steps in the circle or curve. I know that compensating for the backlash in curves doesn't work very well but I don't think it's normal to see steps in the curve. I would appreciate any help.

Re: Mach3 backlash compensation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 12:38:49 AM »
It seems to work well on a mill with small bl but when I tried it on a lathe with much larger z bl I found similar to you.
Re: Mach3 backlash compensation
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 05:13:20 AM »
Hi,
when Mach 'compensates' for backlash what it does is accelerate an axis the distance of the lash when
that axis reverses direction......not very sophisticated.

There is NO such thing as real software backlash compensation, as the lash increases the Mach solution works less and less well.

There is one, and only one, real solution.....cure the lash.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'