Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:21:42 AM

Author Topic: servos not traveling proper distance, new install of 2.0  (Read 11093 times)

Re: servos not traveling proper distance, new install of 2.0
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 07:59:10 AM »
I think you have a ground loop.. you are gettng noise into the step lines.

Could you tell us exactly what you have for hardware and pictures would also help. 
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 12:32:24 PM »
holy cow. I decided to video tape the whole problem and in the middle of taping it got worse!

Normally the servos stop moving when the parallel cable is take out. Now the servos move with out the parallel cable.

It only moves when the mill spindle motor is running at half to full speed. The movement increases in speed the longer the spindle is moving.
I started to play with the trim pots on the gain dampen and limit on the G340's and I have no clue what each of those do, so I let the mill run and only hooked up the wire to the z axis. So the only wires connected to the servo driver box is the z axis, the power cord and the 5 volts coming from the USB port.

So now there is a problem with in the servo box.
I have dc servos, g340 geckos, camtronics servo power supply
Here are photos, I dont know what you want photos off so here is the servo box and the placement of the equipment

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 03:11:58 PM »
I had a similar problem when I first started and eventualy traced it to the DC power supply that I was using to power the logic to my servo's (Panasonic) this despite the fact that I was using diferential signals for step and direction.

Brian
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 04:54:27 PM »
Right now im on my second cut test, but it seems as if the problem was in the terminal screws on the geckos.

In other words one of the screws was loose.

I don't know for sure if this was the problem, since I simply went in and tightened every screw just to make sure none were loose. Right now the mill is cutting perfectly. Knock wood.
I just wish I knew for sure what the problem was in the first place. I hate when something pretty much fixes it self and I don't know why. It leaves the possibility that the problem is not fixed.
Ill let you know if it continues to function properly.
Rob

Hood

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 05:08:39 PM »
I have had (and so have a few others I know of ) bad connections with the plugs on the Geckos, maybe just pressing it down has made the connection again.
Hood
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 09:03:11 AM »
What do you have for a breakout board in the box?

I think you may need to have a Breakout board to get your voltage up  (Just an idea at this point)

www.machsupport.com

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 09:22:33 AM »
A few suggestions for what it's worth.

Although you have a simple breakout board it's unbuffered and your PC seems to be along way from your machine.

I don't see any screened cables in that box?   Particulary your encoder cables ought to be screened even better use twisted pairs.

You also have many potential antenne in that box ;)   Well routed cabling goes a long way to eleviate problems.

Wayne....

Offline klmark

•  107 107
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 12:01:42 PM »
Brain is right on the Breakout board I had a very bad noise problem Brain tooled me to add a Breakout board that took care of the problem I would suggest every one to use it
  Glad someone was able to help me Thank you
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 09:30:48 PM »
I think you can put this in the setip that you have now and I think it will fix the problem...
http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-103/index.html

I would put this one in if it was me (there are many other great boards that you can use as well)
http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-122/index.html

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com