Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:52:23 AM

Author Topic: New to Mach 3 Parallel Port help  (Read 2236 times)

New to Mach 3 Parallel Port help
« on: November 09, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
Hi all  and thanks for having me here,

I'm having problems with my Parallel Port the volts coming out are  3.3v and ive read you need 5v but how is this done as i cannot find out nothing on this.

Also when i do get some movement it only moves in one direction (only to the right when i use keys left or right)

and i can only get X Axis to move as Y and Z do not move on the Y and Z drivers but if i plug Y and Z in the X axis they move

I hope someone can help as I'm pulling my hair out, lol   :-\ ???

Martin
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:27:34 AM by katiem450 »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: New to Mach 3 Parallel Port help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »
Hi Martin,

Welcome to the forum.

The original parallel port's were to the 5 volt TTL standard but the newer ports are to the 3.3 volt TTL standard. Some controllers will only operate from a 5 volt parallel port and if you are unlucky enough to have one of those then the best solution is to fit a new PCI parallel port card (which is known to output the 5 volt TTL) to your PC. A 5 volt parallel port card is probably best obtained from one of the reputable CNC suppliers as they can verify the output voltage before purchase.

The movement problem you describe may be related to having incorrect pins (Config. / Ports & Pins / Motor Outputs) set for the Y and Z axis and possibly incorrect Step Low Active configuration for these axes.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: New to Mach 3 Parallel Port help
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 10:57:11 AM »
Hi Tweakie

Thank you for your very fast reply  , I thought that was the case ill see if i can find a pci card at 5v and then go from there

Many Thanks Martin