Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:20:27 AM

Author Topic: Elgamill cnc retrofit  (Read 2145 times)

Elgamill cnc retrofit
« on: November 04, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
Hi Guys
I am new here , I am a service engineer on CNC machinery for the past 20 yrs. I have not built a CNC just repaired them.
I am looking for some advise on a possible retrofit to an Elgamill like the machine here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khOYhfwI3Ds
this is a large old machine, tollerances do not need to be better than .5 mm Yes half a millimeter.
Would this size of machine be outside the parameters for Mach3/4 and if it would work how do i size the motors required

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can help
Best regards
Bulld   
Re: Elgamill cnc retrofit
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »
I should mention i used gekodrives calculation as per the website instructions and the X axis i estimated weighing at 4000 lbs for the x axis , 4000 x 100 ( ipm) / 531 = 7.5 kw so if i use a 6 to 1 gear ratio i could use a 1.25 kw ?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:45:58 PM »
There has not been much mention of the Clearpath/Teknic brushless servo motors on this site, but they are an amazing evolution in motor control. Watch the video on their website, and log into the site and register your name. After you register, you can do comparisons of the many motor combinations they make, and look at the rpm/torque curves for the various voltages and motor sizes.

The motor driver electronics is built into the motor, and can be tailored through a PC program connected to the motor electronics by a USB connection. Once the factors have been qualified in the PC program, while the motor is connected to the machine, the motor goes into a setup mode that sets the software factors automatically, which takes about 5 to 15 minutes.

The company is so confident of their motor design, the have a 90 day period during which you can either return the motor for a 100% cash refund, or do an exchange for a different motor type/torque/rpm factor for your application.

Their engineering is clearly a quantum advance in brushless motor/control design.

John
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 01:29:41 PM »
  so if i use a 6 to 1 gear ratio i could use a 1.25 kw ?

That sounds about right. However, I think you must divide the 100 ipm by 6 as well which may, or may not be an issue.

Russ
 :)