Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:54:03 AM

Author Topic: Spindle for Chinese 3040  (Read 3808 times)

Spindle for Chinese 3040
« on: November 05, 2015, 05:40:11 AM »
Hi All

Well I've finally done it, pulled the trigger (well, clicked buy) and have my first CNC on the way. It's only a Chinese 3040 but it's all mine, or will be in a few days hopefully. It's one of the black controller ballscrew ones (3040T - DQ).

I am mainly likely to be using it for PCB drilling and routing, If I can get the thing to work at all, as the song goes "I can see trouble ahead".

I would also like to use it to rout out some Aluminium front panels probably about 3mm max mostly thinner.

I have been reading on here that amongst their other problems the supplied 230Watt spindle isn't up to much and would likely commit suicide on Aluminium.  So I have been looking for an alternative.

Problem is it's an odd size spindle mount it's 52mm and as it appears to be one piece I can't simply change the Spindle mount. I could probably fit a 55mm motor by boring it out a little in the lathe but I don't think I could go any bigger without running out of metal to skim off.

Anyone got any ideas on this or know of a spindle motor that would fit I think about 800 Watts  or even bigger if it will fit

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle for Chinese 3040
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 06:02:41 AM »
Congrats on taking the plunge.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:21:19 PM »
There are lots of spindle motors on Ebay that will fit. A 400 watt should do most of what you want to machine. I have a 400 watt motor on my small router, and it is 12,000 rpm max. The hp factor is 746 watts = 1 hp. You can get a variable speed controller board that will accept a pwm signal, and control the rpm from Mach3 also.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 01:44:03 PM »
mrprecise44

Hi There, yes I've been looking at some of those myself saw a nice 450w brushless that would fit complete with a matching drive for about £85 IIRC
Do you think 400Watt or so would be enough for Aluminium. I won't be taking huge cuts and time isn't a problem It can take a many little .010" nibbles at it as it likes I don't mind if it takes all day it will still beat hacksaw and file (for roughing anyway)

Regards Mark
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
For cutting aluminum, you could use a 1/8" 2-flute carbide cutter, at max rpm about 10 or 12K. I think it would cut OK with a depth of .05" to 06" per pass, just watch your feedrate until it is dialed in. Also, keep the cutter extension as short as possible for rigidity.
If you are going to be cutting the aluminum, an air/mist coolant blast on the cutter will keep the flutes free, and lubricated. If you try to run it dry, or just using plain air, the flutes can clog and snap the cutter.

Check out the mist coolant systems that use pressure coolant mixed into the pressurized air stream, and directed out of a .040" nozzle. This kind of mist/coolant does not fill the surrounding air with mist, and leaves very little liquid on the surface. They work great.
There are a few diagrams on the web, on how to make your own mist coolant system.  The commercial one's are fairly pricey.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 12:04:57 AM »
mrprecise44

Hi there

Thanks for the advice it is nice to know that it is feasible or a small machine like this.

I take your point about coolant, I have had this problem with Aluminium in the past whilst manual machining. it is notorious for clogging and building up on tools I have found that paraffin (Kerosene in the States) in a garden sprayer works well I could possibly modify one of those to give a mist coolant, I shall investigate this.

Incidentally I have found out that the breakout board used in these machines has outputs for PWM control of the spindle, spindle direction relays coolant pump relays limit switches and a few other functions they are just not connected as standard it is a fairly simple and cheap modification to get them operational.

I think I have got the CNC bug, I am thinking about upgrades and mods already and the machine hasn't arrived yet not sure whether it's excitement or pure terror I'm feeling at the moment, both probably.

Regards Mark

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »
if you wont to do lots of aluminum cutting get the coated cutters they last alot longer and you can go very fast with them, they cost more but it is offset by how much faster you can push them and how much longer they last.
they are what I use I have never had one break or clog
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 05:23:20 AM »
blockhead

What type of coating is it Titanium Nitride (TiN) or something else, Also I've been hearing that single flute cutters are good for Aluminium

Regards Mark