Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:28:12 AM

Author Topic: Spindle control setup with CSMIO/IP-M  (Read 7509 times)

Spindle control setup with CSMIO/IP-M
« on: February 22, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »
Got axes up and running.

So now I'm focusing on a spindle control setup and get confused.

First some dry run findings:
It looks I cannot get spindle running at all.
By looking at the section "Spindle Speed" on Mach screen, there is a DRO "RPM". I cannot get any readings to that, except for a very short period (1 sec). There are number decreasing from about 1000 to 0 within second once I hit F5 or type appropriate code in MDI input (e.g. M3 S500). If I cannot get any readings in to that DRO, I guess that means that the spindle is not rotating at all (Mach is not generating control signals).

Then, how to configure CSMIO/ip-M?
I have ticked "Spindle" in "Motor Outputs" config.
In a CSMIO plugin config I have enable "Spindle DAC" as I am trying to get 0...+10 VDC for my spindle driver.
For the analog output I have chosen Analog OUT 0 and connected pins 1 and 2 accordingly in an analog out out terminal of CSMIO.
Then back to Mach port&pin setup and "Spindle Setup" tab. What should be chosen in a "Motor Control" section? Or does it matter when CSMIO is used? Since I'm using a spindle motor, it would be easy to think "Use Spindle Motor Output" should be checked. But what then, PWM or Step/dir? In a relay control section I have unchecked "Disable Spindle Relays" checkbox, and set output# to 4 and 5 as CSMIO manual recommends. However, I cannot get these output activated in CSMIO by using codes M3 and M4 in MDI or in G-code program.

Spindle pulley ratios are all set to 1 and min and max speed are from few hundres to couple thousands. One question here, are the pulleys selected in a G-code (like in my "real" CNC lathe. Okuma uses codes M40 upwards for calling different gears)?

I am basically looking for a stepbystep spindle setup guide for really dummies. At least I did not find anybody else struggling with the same issue...

Cheers,
Juha

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle control setup with CSMIO/IP-M
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
This help any?
http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/index.php?m=article&s=main&aid=132&uinfo=CSMIOIPM__VFD

Hood
Any? A lot. Ive been trying and trying, both (Mach and CSMIO) manuals red through couple times.

Thousands thanks,
Juha

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:45:06 PM »
There is a lot of additional info on the CS-Lab site for things like that, see here
http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/artykuly-dzial-5,-ARTICLES__TIPS.html
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
Hi guys,

I guess I must be way clumsier than the OP, as I have read the post a few times and still have doubts  ;D

I finally got to the final stages of wiring my CSMIO IP-M and got to the point where I need to do the physical wiring to turn on and off the VFD and control the spindle speed. What I am not sure about is the physical interaction of the screw connectors in the digital outputs block (say, pins 12 and 25 for forward spinning) and the ones in the analogue outputs part (say, pin 1, following the same example).

So, I am guessing one of the cables comes from somewhere (?) into pin 25, then out of pin 12 and from there... where? And then there is pin 1 in the analogue I/O... supposedly a cable comes ouf of there... and where does that one go?

So yeah, I'm quite clueless here!  ???

Thanks a lot in advance!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 05:10:42 AM »
You have to be really an expert to get clumsier than I was and still am. :o
I need to check from the sketches I drew at the time, but at least in principle I arranged a rotation change of spindle motor with two external relays as illustrated in this image.
Pin 12 driving relay 1 and pin 13 relay 2. Pin 25 is just a common for these relays.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:20:31 AM »
Hahahaha indeed, I feel so hopeless! I still can't believe this is like my third control box and yet I am so useless at electronics... Anyway, thanks for butting in. Any help as to where cables physically come from and go to will be much appreciated  :D