Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:58:56 AM

Author Topic: tool library Mach3 vs CAM  (Read 7045 times)

tool library Mach3 vs CAM
« on: March 18, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
I am obviously choosing a tool from MadCam's own tool library to generate my G-code.
This is imported and used in the running of Mach3's routine.
Is there any reason to enter a tool choice from the Mach3 library then? 

I assume that if you did change the tool number to one residing in Mach3 library that it would have to match exactly the tool used in MadCam to generate the toolpath?

Is there a possibility of "tool confusion" if there is a Tool #1 in Mach3 library and a Tool #1 that comes in with the CAM file (which might obviously be a DIFFERENT tool)

Steve

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,671 2,671
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: tool library Mach3 vs CAM
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »
I am not sure just what you are getting at but this is how it works in Mach3 :-

The tool library stores the length and diameter of tools, each line in the library is a different tool.  The user decides what tool is in what position and needs to make sure the offset values are correct.  These tools can be in the machine or on a rack on the wall but they must be marked with the tool number in the library.

The cam system should have a list of the tools in the machine and then when programming a part the tools in the machine can be called to work.

The idea is that any part can then use any tool just by calling its tool number as it is pre set in the machine along with its offsets.

I hope this helps
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:39:33 AM »
Your reply is greatly appreciated.
I am likely being dense here.  The issue is that there are two distinct libraries that one can choose to deal with:

1) The library that is part of the CAM program (MadCam in this case) which can be constructed, modified, saved.
2) The library that can be constructed within Mach3 itself - you seem to be able to define any tool you want in Mach3 and give it a number that is it's identity within Mach3's own library.

So, when the G-code runs how does it know what tool #1 refers to?  Is it the tool that was labelled #1 in MadCam.  Or is it the tool labelled #1 in Mach3?

Steve

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
When a program RUNS it looks at the Tool# in the program then goes and gets the actual INFO from the Mach3 tool table.  Your CAM needs to be set up to use what MAch3 uses for tools OR you take what the CAM uses and MANUALLY update the MACH3 tool table.

Some controllers have a tool table import/export function to update tool data from Cam to Controller and vise versa if needed.  Some only allow manual updating(you working for the computer instead of it working for you)

The tools must match both ways.

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »
I suffered from the same confusion but it's pretty simple.  You define the tools in CAM: (Dolphin in my case) with the same numbers you have them set as in Mach.  In CAM set up each tool by number (Type of tool: Turn, Bore, Groove, Drill, Ream) - set the tip radius, direction of cut, ft/rear turret etc. & don't worry about the offsets.  Do all of your offsets in Mach.  When Mach runs the code with the tool changes you set in CAM, all is peachy.:)
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »
The offset that gets saved in Mach 3 is only the tool length unless you are using tool radius compensation G41 G42, in which case Mach 3 needs that. Now if you are letting the Cam program offset the tool then the Cam program needs the tool radius, but it never needs tool length compensation because that is relative to the spindle. Tool length gets measured by and stored in Mach 3.  Hope this helps.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 02:33:16 AM »
Excellent. Thanks to all! I sort of imagined it must be that way but hadn't yet come across an explanation

Offline GMcG

•  22 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 02:40:32 PM »
I have had similar questions about this as well and this series of explanations has helped me understand better exactly what is going on.  however, I am wondering what is a good way to handle drill bits in a tool crib in either the CAM crib or Mach 3 Crib?  Originally I thought that I would use the same tool number, T11, for any drill bit and then, because I use automatic measurement of each tool in a non repeatable holder, NRH, provided for in MSM, it would give me the correct TLO each time even though the tool number is the same.  However, the program needs to know the diameter of the bit and then is held in the Mach 3 table for T11 and that is not measured by the MSM Auto Tool measurement. So I don't see any way to address the drill bit change issue except to create a separate tool # in Mach 3 and the Cam tool crib for each drill that I use in machining.

Bottom line question:  does any one have a better suggestion as to how to manage drill bit changes in Mach 3 Cribs and with Cam Cribs?

Thanks,
Greg