Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:19:53 PM

Author Topic: Can't get L cam to do what I want  (Read 5323 times)

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
Can't get L cam to do what I want
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:14:13 PM »
It has been a while since I used Lcam.  I am trying to output the attached file to G-code.  The piece is made from .040 aluminum.  It has a hole in each corner of the triangle.  The edges are not strait as each edge has a different radius.  My plan is to make as many of these as I can out of a singe 12"x12" piece of .040.  I plan to put a screw in each hole to hold it down while it gets cut out of the sheet.  Can someone please run this through their Lcam and post the g-code?  Thank you very much if you can.

Vince

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get L cam to do what I want
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 02:15:11 AM »
Hi Vince,

What diameter cutter (or kerf width) are you planning on using when cutting these parts ??

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:35:34 AM »
either 1/8 or 1/4".  I was thinking if I used 1/8 I could do the holes as well with just one tool.

Vince

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 11:20:56 AM »
I haven't tried it or anything but see if this is any good.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
Wow, that was fast.  I'll load it up and give it a try.  I can modify it to fit my machine if I have to.
Thanks!

Vince

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:57:43 AM »
Hi Vince,

You will need to do a number of modifications to the code (including feeds and speeds, possible multipass and setting a depth for the engraving toolpath) because I just didn't have enough information to do it right first time.  :)

Out of curiosity what is it to be used for ??  (fingerboard radius gauge perhaps ?)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
I already made the changes to the code.  It looks like it will run fine.  The metal is supposed to get here tomorrow so hopefully I can make the part then.  It is used to set the landing gear  overcenter cam on a 1972 Cessna RG.  Each edge of the triangle has a different radius which corresponds with the cam in various positions.

Thanks again.

Vince

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »
Tweakie, thank you very much for the help.  I made the part without any problems.  I know Art made some videos on using Lcam, but I my drawings just don't seem to work wit what he is showing.  Were you able to use the text that I had in the file?  I know you must be very busy and I appreciate your time.   

Vince

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 02:38:29 AM »
Hi Vince,

I am pleased you have made the part OK and I hope it performs it's intended task as envisaged.

Just to be critical your DXF text was IMO not that well produced, comprising many short, straight lines that were not joined and perhaps that would not work all that well with LazyCam.
I now use Vectric software ( http://www.vectric.com/ ) CAD / CAM complete with Mach3 / 4 compatible post processor is the way forward, the only restriction being financially related.  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE