Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:37:00 AM

Author Topic: Gcode Request for a part  (Read 21456 times)

Re: Gcode Request for a part
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
Nice!  sorry about the upload blunder... try that one.  i double checked it and it should be good to go!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 08:27:28 AM »
Looks good in Mach :)
Hood
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 09:31:37 PM »
Gonna start making parts tomorrow, have 2 more tools to model up and then time to chick up some stock, cross my fingers and hit the green button..lol

Thanks for everything Hood.. I found a round tool holder from A hard I ordered but won't be here until Friday..

I did see that a few companies offer gooving tool inserts with round tips, wonder if they would be any good, definitely alot smaller the a 6mm round for getting in tight places..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 03:05:52 AM »
I did see that a few companies offer gooving tool inserts with round tips, wonder if they would be any good, definitely alot smaller the a 6mm round for getting in tight places..

That is what I have with the SECO MDT tool.
Hood
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 08:14:50 PM »
Ah ha...  I was going crazy looking for a 3mm round insert like the 6mm.   Ok ordered up the 3mm grooving tool holder and insert...  Good times ahead!

I just finished drawing te 17 tool holders and inserts I have and put them in the technology database for Camworks and went through and set all of the parameters up for each tool and filled my imaginary turret with all of the tools and told it to only choose tools from my turret for auto tool selection...

NOW I see the benefit of having everything properly setup.  I literally just draw up a solid model in solidworks, tab over to Camworks and hit the extract machinable features button and voila...  It defines all the features into turning operations be it is, I'd, groove, cutoff etc... Then I hit generate operation plan and it spits out a new tree for roughing and finishing each of the operations and then I hit generate tool paths and it pumps out a completed cam program based on all of the criteria I entered for each tool.  Very easy now that it is set up.  I can see this being very helpful for making parts quick from design to chip making.

Now I'm going to go set all my new tool holders up and set the heights and the re watch your video and start entering tools into mach3 with offsets and a master tool.

I guess after that I will be setup and ready to turn whatever pretty quickly.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »
Sounds like a nice CAM.

I have done another video with using home switches as the master tool position but its a bit scrappy and I am having issues trying to edit it. If I can't manage to get it sorted I will try and do another in the next day or two.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 06:12:15 PM »
Here is the video, basically the same as before except I am using home switches as the master tool.
It is a bit shaky but hopefully still watch-able.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kla1sZ8IF6k&feature=em-upload_owner

Hood
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 11:10:15 PM »
Nice!  I don't have home or limit switches that would work with the mill setup as a lathe so I will just have to use the master tool technique.  I think I am going to make a probe tool with a ball end to do the touch off on a 1" round gauge bar I bought  to zero in my mill probe tool.  I will put the round gauge in a piece of delrin and send some wires to the BOB and use it the same as you would a touch  plate for the mill.

The probe tool will be isolated by delrin as well for when I need to touch off on a part.  That should get all the tools dialed in to the master and the master dialed in to the work.

I was setting all my tool heights today by facing of some aluminum stock and trying to get the feel for where the right height was, I found the best height for surface finish was about .001"-.003" below the center point. Is that normal?  It doesn't leave hardly anything but a pin tip nipple that is barely noticeable.  Is this OK you think?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 02:54:57 AM »
The right height for a lathe tool would be exactly on centre.
Parting tools may need very slightly above centre depending on the flex in tool/lathe. Boring bars may also benefit from being fractionally above centre depending on rigidity of bar and lathe.
I personally would never set below centre although a thou or so  would likely not make too much difference.

Hood
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 03:04:13 AM »
Good to know,  I will give it another go in the morning... It may also be that the inserts I'm using weren't made for aluminum.  I noticed that the aluminum inserts have a bigger rake on the tips, perhaps that makes for a cleaner cut.  I have some inserts on the way for aluminum so perhaps I will be able to get the finish with it set dead on the center.  Thanks Hood!  And Im digging the videos! Very helpful!  Perhaps once I get everything dialed in I will get some video to share!