Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:37:44 PM

Author Topic: IP-A and Linear Scales / Encoder not directly on motor - how?  (Read 11373 times)

Re: IP-A and Linear Scales / Encoder not directly on motor - how?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 12:56:26 AM »
Chaz,

Your mill looks like a real gem. Didn't recognize the original control, is it a Fanuc? Also, who manufactured the mill? Again, looks like a gem of a machine. Looking forward to seeing the results of your retrofit! The link to the air bearing lathe is fascinating. Thanks for sharing that.

Mike

Offline Chaz

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 03:53:39 AM »
Chaz,

Your mill looks like a real gem. Didn't recognize the original control, is it a Fanuc? Also, who manufactured the mill? Again, looks like a gem of a machine. Looking forward to seeing the results of your retrofit! The link to the air bearing lathe is fascinating. Thanks for sharing that.

Mike

Hi, its not my mill, doing it for someone. It has (had) something called Control Techniques FNC4. Looks like a MS Dos based PC solution bringing all the neccessary cables / information back to a multitude of interface boards. Not sure if I can cross link to the my cnc forum images, but this is it.

Offline Chaz

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 03:03:34 PM »
So, retrofit mostly done. Space is tight, especially since we added the mpg module and took up more space.

Z height finish is flawless. Not that impressed with finish but the cutting strategy was crapped and rushed. Not a bad little machine.

Just uploading a vid ....
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 08:37:53 PM »
Nice job on the retrofit install, looks neat and tidy despite cramped quarters. Results look good!

Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »
Looks good, though not sure if it is just the camera moving about or maybe a bit of tuning needed, axis seem to be overshooting a wee bit.
Hood

Offline Chaz

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 06:03:56 AM »
Looks good, though not sure if it is just the camera moving about or maybe a bit of tuning needed, axis seem to be overshooting a wee bit.
Hood

Indeed. We have done some more work last night to complete teh wiring. Occasionally get PID errors, perhaps 2000 / 2500 mm/min is too much for this little machine. Really struggling to get the PID turning spot on but its working fairly well. I think the owner would probably want something that could cut quicker. Also having a bit of an issue on the X travel, not sure from what.