Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:53:42 AM

Author Topic: Should I Earth the CNC Machine?  (Read 2657 times)

Should I Earth the CNC Machine?
« on: July 23, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »
This is probably a stupidly insane question, however should the CNC machine be strapped to earth?
Re: Should I Earth the CNC Machine?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 04:04:14 AM »
If everything is connected correctly it should have any earthing it requires, adding earth straps randomly can cure or cause problems but the answer is "It Depends" ;-) 
Details of make, model etc. might help folks form a useful opinion, my CNC mills are earthed by the 3 phase connection to the motor, the wiring shields are grounded at the controller end to it's enclosure but are not connected at the machine end,

- Nick
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:10:51 AM »
It's a regular ebay-sourced 6040 with Huan Yang VFD and spindle. Up to now I've made a possibly rash assumption that the spindle case would be earthed, and with the spindle being bolted to the frame that carried the earth thru.

However I do recall viewing some discussion on online forums about earth loops, and as I have an inkling what they are about I can see valid reasons for not adding an extra possible earth loop.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »
An earth ground is only a safety item to prevent something from being at a different potential which could be hazardous. If it seems to 'cure' a CNC problem then you can be sure you just haven't discovered the actual problem. When I hear a CNC manufacturer recommends an earth ground it gives me very little confidence in their control.