Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:20:26 AM

Author Topic: Fitted UC100 now A axis doesn't work  (Read 2672 times)

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
Fitted UC100 now A axis doesn't work
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:04:20 AM »
Hi

I'm hoping to get some idea of how to trouble shoot this problem.

I've replaced my old pc with a windows 7 pc and a UC100, everything seemed to be ok but I didn't test the A axis (rotary table) until now.
I've checked the pinouts, enable etc and they all look right and match the old pc.
I've reconnected the old pc and the A axis works as before.

My main XYZ axis use Routoutcnc opto isolated 10 amp drivers http://www.routoutcnc.com/10ampkits.html

The A axiz uses a different driver but it's litriture says it's opto isolated  http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Stepper-Motors/Stepper-Drivers

My breakout board is just the pass through one from routoutcnc shown in the first link and doesn't have opto isolation. I don't have a seperate 5vdc supply in my controller box either, that all came from the parallel port.

I'm wondering if the 5vdc from the UC100 isn't enough to drive the stepper driver from arceurotrade or if there is an earth missing that is on the parallel port.

Everything else seems to work as expected, the homing switches and e stop signal all work with no problem, and typically the first job I want to do with the new pc/UC100 combo uses the rotary table!

Does anyone have any ideas? I have this feeling I'm missing something obvious.

Steve

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
Re: Fitted UC100 now A axis doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »
can you switch wires around and see if it's hardware or software related. Run the a axis rom the X axis pins.

Offline bowber

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion and I would have tried that next but.... I tried a new driver and everything is working as it should now. The old driver wasn't one of the Arcerotrade ones I linked to but an older version, problem with building the CNC 3-4 years ago and not having to touch it until now!

Anyway the new driver, which is one of the ones linked to, works fine.

Steve

Offline bowber

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »
The people at CNCDrive thought it was probably the older drive not working with the faster pulse settings of the UC100, I'm not going to revert it back to find out though but just thought I'd mention it here in case some one else is looking for a solution in the future.

Steve