Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:56:54 AM

Author Topic: Unequal Backlash  (Read 4389 times)

Re: Unequal Backlash
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 07:33:01 PM »
How do you test for loosing steps?

Matt
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 08:41:36 AM »
If you have a home switch/sensor, I do it this way.
Home the axis, then uncheck Auto Zero in the Homing dialog. Rapid jog the axis all through it's available area several times (or run a file with many rapids) then rehome the machine. It will go to the same position in relation to the switch and the DRO will show any deviation from the original 0 which will indicate any lost steps.
An axis can lose steps in one direction only due to a tapered gib creating more resistance (wedging) in one direction than the other. I've seen this on some of the lower quality dovetail type machine slides.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »
Thanks a bunch. I'll look and see if its loosing steps, I have noticed some funny numbers occasional I didn't understand. I haven't got homing set up but I can set that axis and check that. The machine has its own coordinates displayed (According to what I am not sure) but they tend to line up real well. Mach and the machine, down to the .001 decimal if a millimeter.

It has 1605 precision ball screw for the movement but maybe since its Chinese.... I figure I'll find something loose hopefully nothing worse than that.

I'm also going to spend a little more money on a dial indicator. At least have 2 of them telling me something wrong.

I am grateful for all the advice. I probably will have more questions soon.

Thanks
Matt