Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:03:17 AM

Author Topic: ESS to GSK servos  (Read 5695 times)

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
  • Time is the same in a relative way
    • View Profile
Re: ESS to GSK servos
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 04:43:05 PM »
Thanks Hood. I have paced an order for the CSMIO/IP-A as per your recommendation. Although I have a small amount of electronics know how, I think this would be easier. Quite expensive though - about $1000.00 au
Don't tell the wife :).
Thanks again for your help, I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.
Dave
Cheers

David

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 03:45:38 AM »
Oh no, now I will get blamed if you don't like it :D I am sure you will however :)
$1,000 seems expensive but when you then look at what you don't have to buy when using another controller, then it gets less so. For example no need for multiple  breakout boards, no need for line drivers, no need for spindle controller, no need for means of getting analogue inputs, no need for converting from 5v to 24v and vice versa etc etc.

I realise it is a lot of cash but if I had known you were contemplating going down that route I would also have said to consider getting the MPG module as well, it allows you to get really nice MPG control more akin to Industrial machines style and you can fit it in your panel and connect physical switches for  other controls, also you can use the analogue inputs on it for FRO and Spindle Overrides. The main controller also has analogue inputs so you could still use them, just you will have to run cables to it from your front panel.
 Also an Enc module is a nice thing to have if you want rigid tapping, even with a VFD spindle it is still possible, all that is needed is the Enc module and an encoder fitted to the spindle 1:1.

Maybe I should learn to keep my mouth shut, luckily though Oz is a fair bit away for me not to feel the ire of your good lady so I am probably safe and hopefully you are too :D

Hood

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
Every thing is here now, I decided to spend the extra and get an MPG module and controller and a 24v power supply as well.
After all I spent a lot of money buying the mill in the first p[lace, so I might as well do it properly.
As soon as I finish my CNC router, which is nearly there, I will start the process.
I think I will aim to do it once and properly, so any recommendations as to how to lay out the control panel, and what to allow for would be most welcome.
Even suggestions as to what type of enclosure to to make would be good. I was thinking that since the mill already has an arm with various switches etc on it that this would be a good place to attach the entire shooting match.
I currently have the GSK 980mda on there.
I can post a photo of the mill as it is if you'd like.

Cheers

Dave
Cheers

David

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »
Not sure if you bought the hand held pendant as well, personally I do not like them but that is just me :)
What I would do regarding the control panel is what I did with the Chiron. I had the MPG module along with an extra I/O module, 24v PSU,  the computer and the computer power supply all contained in the control panel. That meant the only cables that went to the main panel were power, network and the Canbus from MPG/ExtraI/O top the IP-A which is housed in the main panel.
Couple of pics below

As for an enclosure, I would say one of the best I have seen for a knee mill is the one my friend made, see here.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,29886.0.html

Hood

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »
Thanks for that Hood, You have given me a lot to ponder.
I will shortly attach some photos of my mill, as it is now and after the conversion.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers

David