Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:28:14 AM

Author Topic: I have CNC'ed my cold saw  (Read 11417 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: I have CNC'ed my cold saw
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »
ARE you open to suggestions  ;D

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 10:57:30 PM »
ARE you open to suggestions  ;D

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Sure I am, even if it's coming from you ;D ;)

I am a member here for quite some time and I know what you can do, surprise me every time.

Jeff

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 11:30:20 PM »
Consider this. What you are doing is a very repetitive task. Raise the saw push the stock lower the saw. Repeat a number of times.

This is the perfect situation for a simple SUB program with #vars to drive the cut lengths. That way it is completely programable on the fly.

The number of SUB loops equals the number of parts to cut.

To load the SUB code on startup you can use a MCODE in the init string to load the  cutting  program on startup of Mach3

Is the RPM adjustable on the saw ??  IF not why the value ?

Instead of trying to calculate all the cut lengths and worrying about the over/under run of the stock feeder simple program the infeed of the stock to the Cut length each time. For example make a cut then push the stock the proper distance lock it up and cut. WHILE it is cutting have the feeder  Retract  the proper amount and be ready to Push the stock the proper distance.  Cut then repeat. Don't try to calculate the number of cuts in the 30" travel you have just use the distance of the part length each time it cycles. That way the machine will CUT until it runs out of stock OR the end of the number of SUB cycles you programed(number of parts) is UP and it stops.

IF you are off the length of cut values all you need to do is edit the length value and press an update button and the #vars will be updated and the next cut cycle will cut to the new values. Easy QC on the cut lengths.

IF you have a lot of different parts to do consider USING the tool table to store the cut values in. This gives you 254 different programs you can run and NOT have to hand enter the values each time.

You can have it both ways enter the values for custom setups by hand on screen OR call the tool number and have it update automatically. IF you have a number of different cuts to make on the same stock you can STACK up the jobs by Tool # and it will change its setup on the fly. AND run until it runs OUT of material. IF it does and there is still MORE to cut replace the stock and restart the cutting sequence. IT can  remember where it is in the SUB loop and continue on cutting.

ALL you need for switches is a home for the saw  at the beginning of stroke (saw DOWN on the table = 0.000) and the stock empty switch( eye) for the end of stock.

and a home switch for the feeder. Feeder home is with the feeder closest to the saw blade . That makes all values positve for the saw feed AND the stock feed.

ALSO run it ALL in Incremental mode. That way VALUES do not accumilate and do not have to be divided. Easy peasy.

One other thought is to add G04 P0's in the Gcode mix. THAT WAY there is never any mulitple moves in the Que so Mach3 pretty much is in realtime mode. ANY update will happen on the very next cycle.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:46:28 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 12:05:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I thought is was impossible with mach to drive the A and Z axis at the same time using different feed. The moves must be synchronize.

I cut a lot of 1/4, 3/8  and 3/4 stainless tube, many are about 1in long ( 0.818 to 0.968).

I'm worry about wear if the feeder would always move about 1in and then retract 1in and move again 1in.

I never done any programing with variables but I worked on CNC for the last 40 years, I own a Haas CNC mill now that I'm working from my garage.

Again, thanks to take the time to reply, appreciate a lot.

Jeff

For the RPM, it was already in the macro and I want (in a near future) , replace the 2.5HP single phase with a 3 ph motor and a VFD.

Jeff

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:09:03 AM by ostie01 »
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »
I'm worry about wear if the feeder would always move about 1in and then retract 1in and move again 1in.

This is the main reason that I also chose to do the math and do a full retract of the feeder, to wear the ballscrew more evenly.
The other reason was to allow all axis feeds and speeds to be independent of one another.
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
Also, I never wanted to be  sawing while any clamp was moving as in order to optimize the chipload, all available clamps had to be holding the (round) material to prevent any rotation/slippage during the cut. Some of the product is quite delicate and benefits from as many surfaces clamped as possible.
Russ
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 09:28:50 AM »
The macro that I modified work for me, it output the program I need, one thing I would need to add is another kind of loop that would monitor how

much material as been cut and if it is greater to 30in, open saw vise and return feeder to zero, close feeder clamp and resume cutting.

The loop would still monitor the material being cut and when total is now 60in, do the same open saw clamp, return feeder to zero and resume cutting again until it is out out material.

All I need to know is where to place this loop in the macro, probably just before the next i or something like that

Thanks again for your replies, really appreciated.

Jeff

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »
As long as it works for you is all that matters (;-).

Different strokes for different folks, (;-) TP

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 03:44:38 AM »
As long as it works for you is all that matters (;-).

Different strokes for different folks, (;-) TP

Hope I did not wrote something that have insulted you.

If yes, I'm really sorry, that is absolutely not something I wanted to do.

Jeff

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »
NO , I got the HUMOR  ;D .   

Notta problem , (;-) TP