Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:05:51 PM

Author Topic: Feed rate overide pot  (Read 3260 times)

Feed rate overide pot
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »
Hi All,
My Orac Mach 3 conversion is doing fine and been up and running for a good few months now, thanks to Hood for his advice on spindle position sensor, threading is superb (do need a bit more power on spindle motor though) what I would like to do is fit a manual feedrate and rapid override pot (like on FANUC systems) rather than try to use the icon on my screen. Anyone else fitted one and what was your course of action? I need this as on 1st off or cut, I feel its necessary as a form of safety, rather than potentially crash tool on rapid or feed rate into the workpiece in the chuck.
Regards,
Wayne

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Feed rate overide pot
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:38:55 PM »
I use them on all my machines, well I just have Feed and spindle overrides, I link the Rapid To FRO in General COnfig and the pot acts on both, turn down FRO and rapid is also turned down.

I input the analogue signal either via a PLC or on the wee lathe I am doing it goes via the CSMIO controller as it is capable of analogue inputs.
The other option you have for this is via a Pokeys as it has 2 analogue inputs.

Like you I find the FRO invaluable for testing code on a first run, especially on the lathe, turn it down as you approach the material and get ready to wind to zero if it looks like its going wrong or wind back up if it looks right  :)

Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »
Hi there,
pot via Pokeys works great for me. ( Pokeys55 with Plugin 10.6.4 )
I use three pot's
1) feed and rapid override
2) limit rapid
3) spindle override

Alex

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
Something I have been testing with on a hand pendant is to use 2 simple 10 position encoders hooked into the encoder inputs. Then through software route the clicks to the FRO and SSO functions.

Works very well and simpler to deal with than the analog conversions.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 08:57:23 AM »
Then through software route the clicks to the FRO and SSO functions.

Could you provide more detail?