Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:20:39 PM

Author Topic: Help with Plasma G31 Probe On Floating head  (Read 20937 times)

Help with Plasma G31 Probe On Floating head
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:31:40 PM »
   I have the limit switch on the floating head set as a probe, when the torch moves down to touch off and the limit switch is tripped the head still moves down and the X and Z axes start to shake. Not sure what the problem is with the X and Z but I've got something going wrong.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:36:05 PM by squidink »
Re: Help with Plasma G31 Probe On Floating head
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
In plasma, you don't set the Z switch as a probe. You should only have one switch that trips as the floating head moves up, after the torch comes in contact with the work.
Set the switch input as the Z Home.
When the Z Home switch trips, the action causes the Z axis to reverse direction, and move UP until the Z Home switch opens.
At this point, the Z axis is set to Z0.
The distance from the initial point of contact when the torch touched the work surface, and the distance the Z axis moved  to set the "Z" Zero is the "OFFSET".

You can determine what this offset dimension is manually.
Go to the Mach3 diagnostic page and jog the Z until the torch tip is close to the work surface. Set the jog steps to .001, and begin jogging down until the Z home indicator LED turns on.
Set the Z axis to 0.000
Now begin jogging UP until the torch head is just barely clear of the work surface. You can determine this using a piece of paper.
Write down the distance the Z axis moved.
This is the "Offset" distance for your floating head. This offset is entered into the Plasma cutting program, so the machine "knows" how far to move vertically, to set your programmed cutting height, and the pierce height.

John

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:32:58 PM »
Thanks, i've tried using Z home for the floating head but when the switch is tripped the z-axis continues moving and the X and Y axis start to rattle as long as the Z home switch is tripped.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
You must have settings wrong in your config. That is the same behavior you described regarding using the "Probe" for your floating head. When a home switch is setup, whether it is x,y, or z, it will stop when the switch trips, and reverse until the switch opens. When the switch opens, Mach3 then sets that axis to zero. After that happens, Mach3 does not move, unless you have programmed the macro to make additional moves.

John

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »
There are 3 areas in setting up an axis that must not conflict.

1. Config/Ports & Pins/Motor Outputs
2. Config/Ports & Pins/Input Signals
3. Config, drop down menu Homing/Limits

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 06:24:29 PM »
I figured out that the switch ground need to be isolated from the motor controller ground and that stopped the rattling on the X and Y.

The home switch lights up when triggered but the Z still keeps searching for home when tripped.

Here are the settings I'm using in config:

Input
Z Home Enabled/ port 1/ pin 12/ active low disabled/ emulated disabled/ hotkey 0     

motor outputs
Z enabled/ step pin 6/ dir pin 7/ drlow disabled/ step port disabled/ step port 1/ dir port 1

motor home soft limits
Z reversed disabled / soft max 100.00/ soft min 100.00/ home off 0.0000/ home neg enabled / auto zero enabled/ speed 20

If you see any thing I need to change let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
IF you are using G31 you cannot use the switch as Zhome it must be setup as a probe. You can use either method BUT it has to be setup one way OR the other.
 G31 uses PROBE
G28.1 uses Zhome

(;-) TP
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:56:14 PM »
I don't know if it makes a difference, but you have soft max = 100.00, and soft min= 100.00;
Max and Min cannot be the same value.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »
I've tried probe in G31 and home in G28.1 and neither zeros the Z when its tripped or stops moving and I've changed the min max.

I don't know if this is a post issue? 

thanks

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
SHow us your Gcode  that does the TOM (top of material) routine.

When set up for the G31 method you have to set up the switch as a probe. To test teh switch first look at teh Probe LED it should be off. Then HOLD the  switch down and check the LED it should be on. Release the switch and the LED should go OFF.

BY chance IS this a DEMO version ??? Or are you using an outside controller ???

(;-) TP