Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:25:57 AM

Author Topic: Looking for feedback on running a CSMIO/IP-A with Mach 4  (Read 5350 times)

Looking for feedback on running a CSMIO/IP-A with Mach 4
« on: April 28, 2015, 12:55:14 PM »
Good afternoon,

Starting a retrofit of a Hurco MD1 using a CSMIO/IP-A controller. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this controller running under mock for and how it's going? Are there any shortcomings such as probing not working?

dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for feedback on running a CSMIO/IP-A with Mach 4
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »
I have only used Mach4 on the wee lathe with the IP-S, mostly worked fine but did have issues with the Step/Dir spindle.
I have an IP-A on the Chiron but I do not feel things are advanced enough yet in both Mach4 and the CS-Lab plugin to risk it, machine is too valuable for me to do that.
If I had a CSMIO controller on the Beaver Mill then I would try it but afraid I only have a USB SS and I do not think there is a Mach4 plugin.

I have seen reports of others using Mach4 on mills with the CSMIO controllers and they seem happy enough but no idea if probing etc is working.
The good thing is you do not have to commit to Mach4 at this stage, both Mach3 and Mach4 will happily co-exist on the same computer, so you can test things in Mach4 and then return to Mach3 for your work if need be.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »
Hi Dan,

I am doing the same thing with Hurco MD1 , be sure to check how many outputs you will need, 16 on IP/a might not be enough so check and order expansion IO module if needed, inputs number is just enough.

Also on mine all axis limit switches and 8421 counting the tool number are 5V proxy so can not be directly interfacesd to CSMIO as all IO works on 24VDC

Do you happen to have a wiring manual with yours? I got stuck in some wires hehe :)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:40 AM »
Actually I have decided to go with Ajax/Centroid. I have built several machines using both Mach and Ajax. Last machine I put together I used Mach 4 and was quite frustrated with the entire process. If the MD1 did not have a twin changer I probably would have considered staying with Mach but the thought of going through all of the agony of getting that running was too much.

The only thing that I am reusing from the original controls is the transformer and servomotors. I have replaced the encoders and am in the process of wiring up a completely new electrical enclosure. I am using a Delta VFD055C23A AC drive from Wolf Automation for my spindle with indexing capability. This gets rid of the shot pin and the disc brake. It also gives me rigid tapping capability as I have installed in the encoder on the spindle. Please let me know if you would like some info on how I installed the encoder.

I am replacing the proximity switches with APS25-8M-E-D from Automation Direct. These will be 24 V DC. Since their smaller than the originals I am making an intermediate plate to mount the new proxy which is to which will then bolt to the existing locations.

I have removed the spindle motor and had it gone through. New bearings and balanced. I have also pulled the spindle and put new bearings in that  as well as new Belleville washers.

These machines were so ridiculously overbuilt mechanically that I thought was well worth replacing all of the electronics. Should have the super reliable machine for the next 20 years.

Let me know if you're looking for any manual information. I have  all of the manuals for my machine and have scanned quite a bit of them.

dan
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 09:39:10 AM »
Well I have traced some of wires, I still have the relay board to work out and the power supply part . I sent you a PM